Pamphlet with common misuses...

pastrygirl

Hi everyone! I was inspired by that HWH pamphlet that was recently posted, and created this one that lists some common problems with installations/use/etc. I also adopted an idea that I read about -- was it here? -- about asking someone to research ERF online for 15 minutes.

Techs -- please let me know if there is anything I should change! I'm hoping to hand this out at a new mom/baby party that my parents' group is holding and I'm helping out with.

I'll take any and all criticism, good or bad! :eek:

ADS

Bren&Elise'sMom

I really like it, its very informative and easy to read. I have some suggestions on breaking up some of the info when there is info on both RF and FF, so its in a list and not just a long paragraph.

For the section on Harness Slots height my suggestion is this:

For Rear-facing: Should be at or slightly below the shoulders.
For Forward-facing: Should be at or slightly above the shoulders.

For the section about upper tether not used:

For Rear-facing: Only a few brands allow upper tether use.
For Forward-facing: Upper Tether use for all brands is recommended (check the manual for appropriate use and limits.

Also, I think it would be good to include that a top tether should be used even when the seat is installed with a seatbelt forward-facing.

And maybe include on the section for using expired carseats that usually there is a sticker on the seat shell that tells when it was manufactured or has it listed when the seat expires.

ETA: I agree with the poster above me, that people just don't know that after-market products aren't safe since SO MANY are available, everywhere that baby stuff is sold.

tcottawa

I love this...would you mind if I printed it up and showed it to my instructor? I would love a canadian version of something as easy as this put out by Transport/Health Canada...

pastrygirl

Mostly the infant inserts.

Do you mean something like the BundleMe? That's what I was implying with the one about blankets between the baby and the seat. I don't want to name it by name. :eek: I can change that one to say aftermarket products, including blankets that go between the baby and carseat. Would that cover it?

pastrygirl

breaking up some of the info when there is info on both RF and FF, so its in a list and not just a long paragraph.
Also, I think it would be good to include that a top tether should be used even when the seat is installed with a seatbelt forward-facing.
And maybe include on the section for using expired carseats that usually there is a sticker on the seat shell that tells when it was manufactured or has it listed when the seat expires.

Great ideas -- thanks!

pastrygirl

I've updated the doc (in original link) to include the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming! :D

Everyone is free to copy/print/hand out. :)

mish

That is great! I know you said feel free to use it, but I still want to ask permission. That is a lot of work you did, and you should know who is using it. So, do you mind?

pastrygirl

As long as everyone thinks it's accurate, I don't mind who uses it. You have my permission. :D I just want to make sure I'm not handing out incorrect information!

diaperjoys

Is anyone else having difficulty printing this? I'm trying to figure out if I have a printer issue, or if there is something odd about the formatting that I need to adjust for before sending it to the printer. My printer is doing other documents beautifully today, but every time I send this one it just spits out a blank page.

pastrygirl

Do you see it in the browser? Is it downloading before opening? Does the file open up OK in Adobe Reader (or in Preview if you're on a Mac)? The only thing I can think of is to do a refresh in your browser, to make sure it's pulling up the current doc instead of the one that was saved in cache.

ETA: I just tried printing it from my browser (Safari on a Mac), and the margins are wrong. It's better to save the PDF locally then print.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC