TV shows with poor carseat use

KeikiHula

Anyone ever notice the major lack of use or misuse of carseats in tv shows? I love "Yes Dear" but everytime it shows them in the car, the kids either aren't in boosters and the seatbelt goes across their faces (esp with Logan, the younger brother) or the straps in their carseats are all wrong. A few days ago there was an episode where they were all on a plane and Sammy was in his Eddie Bauer combo seat with the straps WAY below his shoulders, WAY too loose, and the seat wasn't even belted in to the plane seat! LOL I was just shaking my head the entire show. I always notice stuff like that and it drives my dh nuts. He's threatened to turn off the TV in the middle of a show if I don't stop complaining about it. LOL

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well, I don't have cable/satelite/digital/NOTHING - so I don't really watch any TV - but sometimes my parents tape a few episodes of certain shows for me: Law & Order(s), CSI(s), Judging Amy, Medium, Crossing Jordan ... I'm at the mercy of their tastes, but I do like these shows, I just don't even have the faintest clue what else there is to watch :rolleyes: ;) Anyway, I noticed a few times on Medium that the infant was FF too soon, middle kiddo not in a booster & big kid in a lap belt, but they've since changed that so baby is in the middle (still FF, but she's big enough now), middle kiddo in a booster & big kiddo with a shoulder belt :cool: & I haven't ever noticed any problems with the harness straps or anything, but I was looking, LOL!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
There's a new CPS commercial on TLC that is pretty bad. The point of the commercial is for parents to keep their kids harnessed to 40 lb. They show a dad putting a very young toddler into a Graco ComfortSport FF. The toddler is small enough to still be RF, but is probably over 1 year/20 lb. However, after the tot is buckled in, the dad shoves the seat away from the door before shutting it. It moves TONS! Very obviously NOT a proper install.

Longhorn Lady

UlrikeDG said:
There's a new CPS commercial on TLC that is pretty bad. The point of the commercial is for parents to keep their kids harnessed to 40 lb. They show a dad putting a very young toddler into a Graco ComfortSport FF. The toddler is small enough to still be RF, but is probably over 1 year/20 lb. However, after the tot is buckled in, the dad shoves the seat away from the door before shutting it. It moves TONS! Very obviously NOT a proper install.

Oh yeah I saw that one above. Same reaction as you.

On One Tree Hill (gosh I'm showing how young I am and the tacky shows I watch :rolleyes: ) they had a SIX month old FF in the backseat. Other than the obvious misuse, it drives me nuts because the target age of that show could EASILY be influenced by the views shown. I have friends my age that are starting families that don't have a clue about this stuff, and would easily be swayed "the good way" by watching proper use on that show.

Kellyr2

Oh, I must have missed that on OTH. The only carseat I've noticed is when Jenny was in an infant seat (and I know a lot of perfectly mature, normal adults who watch OTH! LOL)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I just saw a Ford commercial about research and making cars safer. Do you think they could use the car seat right? No. I think it was an old Century Breverra(combo seat). The chest clip was no where in sight and it was being used with the 5 point harness. I think the older kid may have been in a booster.

Susan

Longhorn Lady

Kelly:

It was Jenny in the seat, when she was riding with Whitey :) FF, straps loose, the whole she-bang of misuse.

I actually really like OTH, I just laugh at myself when I see these not-even-graudated from high school-kids that I am totally entertained by :rolleyes: :D

I

In The Woods

Oh, "Stuart Little", the movie. This huge toddler is riding in an infant seat (baby bucket) -- FF! And she's wwaayy too big for the seat, head over the top, you name it.

On loose harnesses, is that one of the most common errors attributing to that 80% car seat misuse rate I keep reading about? A friend (who has a DD near the same age as my DS) helped my DS get into his Wizard and just fastened the buckles and chest clip and shut the door, harness so loose DS could have crawled right out of it. Yikes!

Kristin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC