For all you people in booster-law-pending states who keep saying the new law will unfairly force you to buy a bigger car

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
(not that any of the people on HERE would say that)

I'll have you know I put a Graco Turbobooster, a Britax Bodyguard, and an Evenflo Confidence Booster in the back seat of a TOYOTA CORROLA this morning. That's 3, count them 3, average sized boosters in the back of a pretty darn small car!!!!

So don't give me any lame excuses about how it's not possible for people with small cars to follow the law. Suck it up, and figure it out!

(note to self: stop reading the maddening commentary on the MI booster bill)

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
AZ has shot down the booster law for 3 yrs now. Maybe someday. Our Govenor is all for the booster law, but it never makes through legislature to her desk :(. Ours was proposed for any child under 9 yo and 4'9" be in a proper child restraint or booster.

Ice Princess

I love how people think they will go broke by buying one too. I bought a spare backless booster for 12 bucks from walmart. Many poeples jeans cost more then that. :rolleyes:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I love how people think they will go broke by buying one too. I bought a spare backless booster for 12 bucks from walmart. Many poeples jeans cost more then that. :rolleyes:

Heck, come to the seat check events I work at and you can buy a booster for FIVE bucks! (And sometimes they're even free.)

cryswilkins

Where are these stupid coments at? I know that I have been hearing a few things out and about. People really do need to suck it up.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
TN is 4'9" and 90 lbs. Most kids around here aren't that big til 9 yrs old.

Oooh, that's like a biggish 11 year old, according to the charts. Though it's age 9 or 4'9", no weight limit, which is still one of the best laws in the country :thumbsup:

Stretchy Glue

April2007087.jpg

Brevera (insert puking smiley here) Evenflo Big Kid, Britax Parkway across the back of an 05 Envoy. I'm with you.

BTW, we have low cost boosters too. We're more inclined to give them away than let people drive off without one.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Where are these stupid coments at? I know that I have been hearing a few things out and about. People really do need to suck it up.

I have seen negatives comments of that sort in reply to nearly every online article or voter's commentary type of website about the booster bill, usually refuted by CPS advocates who have also commented. ;)

jaded

I saw similar comments at Diaperswappers. :rolleyes: They act like their world is ending for having to find seats that will fit in their vehicles.

I can fit 3 across in both of my vehicles easily, well, I have to move the Turbobooster to the other side of DH's Explorer, because the buckle for that, and the infant seat base are next to each other, and that has already caused confusion, but they all fit.

musicmaj

The people who will have trouble are the ones in really old small cars - but it is possible to fit them in there.

You should have heard the complaints here when CT started the 6 and 60 law. It was ridiculous. People were complaining because they had to go out and buy a $13 cosco high rise. You should have seen the backless boosters fly off the shelves in all the stores. Can you imagine how many little kids were not riding in boosters that needed to be. Even now, with the law, there are many kids who are not riding in boosters who should be.

NOAHSMOM

The article that I posted on #43 has a lot of crazy comments on it. I haven't really spoken w/anyone in irl about it. Most kids at my son's daycare ride in boosters (as I helped out/drove for a fieldtrip yesterday)-a few are still harnessed, they all have to be in something in order to be transported. Off topic-all drivers for the field trip had to sign a form stating that all children under 60# would be restrained in an approved child safety seat in our cars as part of MI daycare transportation licensing.

Yesterday I was talking w/my ex outside of my son's future elementary school and a man drove up w/his 2 small children (3 and 5 yrs ish) and neither of them were even buckled in. The kids were close to being run over as dad was not watching them properly, but he was sure to activate the alarm system on his newer two door sports car. So, those people I don't expect the new law to affect (until they are ticketed, of course).

Amaris

Hopefully people will follow the laws, most around here don't. I'm in western NY and everyday I see kindergarten and 1st graders hop out of the front seat, most not even wearing a seatbelt, probably because "the school is just around the corner and nothing will happen". There is one little boy in ds1's 1st grade class that is probably about 38" and maybe 30lbs (he is very petite, smaller than ds2) and he rides in a seatbelt with the shoulder belt behind him. His sister is 3 and smaller than he is, and rides in a backless booster with the shoulder belt behind her. The law is 8 or 4'9, but no one really cares.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Our bill, when it passed a couple years ago, had a provision for low-cost seats for those in need...does MI's bill have anything liek that?

lynsgirl

Oooh, that's like a biggish 11 year old, according to the charts. Though it's age 9 or 4'9", no weight limit, which is still one of the best laws in the country :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Just weighed and measured ds1 a few days ago. At 11yrs old, he's 68 lbs and 56" (4'8") :eek:. When did *that* happen? He *is* a wiry twig of a boy (no fat anywhere that I can see, and long legs). He's not passing the 5-step test in the van at all yet, but could in the car if there were headrests in the back seat :thumbsdown:.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:thumbsup: Just weighed and measured ds1 a few days ago. At 11yrs old, he's 68 lbs and 56" (4'8") :eek:. When did *that* happen? He *is* a wiry twig of a boy (no fat anywhere that I can see, and long legs). He's not passing the 5-step test in the van at all yet, but could in the car if there were headrests in the back seat :thumbsdown:.
Amy, Kar's that size, too. I guess he's a few months younger, but he was 70 pounds on the scale at Uno the other night (kids pay what they weigh on Sunday, lol)....it was shocking, he's usually 65 at home (Bits is catching up to him...he'd better get on with a big growth spurt before she outweighs him, she's like 58!)

:)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You know the sad thing is, people just don't get it until something happens to them or someone close to them. Somehow child passenger safety isn't on the radar the same way as the multitude of other things. I get mass emails for online petitions to get rid of certain types of plastics in baby bottles, but yet we live in a province with measley minimum laws of proper use + 20lbs to ff, 40lbs for booster. And no booster law. And most people just don't care enough to do something about it...

It's too bad someone can't step up and say "A booster saved my kid's life." Maybe then the message would hit home and the complaining would at least decrease.

I'd sure like to know how a $13 booster is going to permanently affect a family's finances. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC