Need stats!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
What percentage of children are riding in seats that are not properly installed/used correctly?

ADS

Baby D

When we do events we have a misuse rate of 80% - 90%. But that doesn't differentiate between minor misuses (chest clip too low) and major stuff like 2 year olds in an infant only seat turned FF buckled with the seat belt around them.

Ice Princess

I have always heard 4 out of 5 (a poster in my peds office) so that would be roughly 80-90% ranging from sever to just the chest clip needing to be adjusted. my opinion is that probably 79.999 of that is gross mis use. So many parents dont read the manuals and if the do dont pay attention to them. Heck in my family alone it is 99% of wrong use. slowly trying to fix that.

crunchierthanthou

it's 90% in my state. I'm not sure if that's from checks or what, but that's the stat we were told in training and I've heard it a few times since then. I think that's all misuse- installation and everyday use.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Not that this is going to help you much but in Manitoba, 80 per cent of child car seats are not used correctly which is 8 out of 10.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Well, I think 0% of children (or people in general) are SAFE in the car. We do things to make it safeR, but we're still driving around in metal boxes with idiots out there. ;)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Well, I think 0% of children (or people in general) are SAFE in the car. We do things to make it safeR, but we're still driving around in metal boxes with idiots out there. ;)

:ROTFLMAO:

Seriously though, the stat we're taught is 80%.

My real life experience? 95 to 98% wrong. (I've seen about half a dozen seats installed & used correctly, and done well over 100 seats now.)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I was taught that our local stats = 98% misuse & that 4 out of 5 seats have an average of 3 misuse errors (installation included).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Based on... ? Personal experience? A study? Which one?

Yes. In my class I was told the national misuse rate was 96-98%, that in Charlotte (where the instructors were based out of) it was closer to 98-99%. I don't have data for Raleigh, but in my experience AT LEAST 8 out of 10 are installed incorrectly and my misuse rate that I've seen is about 94-96% (I've seen about six seats that are honestly perfect and I've done something over 100 cars, I'm not sure how many).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC