car seat regulations in small trucks

U

Unregistered

Hi there!

My husband has a Mazda 4X4 king cab truck. It does not have a full backseat. It has two small fold down seats in the back.

I believe the king cab space is too small for a car seat. What are the regulations for putting the car seat in the front seat of a truck?

We both work full time and it may be necessary for him to pick our newborn up from daycare but I don't know what to do becuase of the type of vehicle he has.

Any recommendations?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
1st read the vehicle manual to know for sure whether or not you can install a carseat in the back - front seat passengers are about 40% more likely to suffer serious/fatal injury.... If the manual say that carseats can be installed in the back, then go visit your local child passenger safety technician for free help getting a secure installation. If the manual says carseats must not be installed in the back, then you should still visit a local tech for free help getting the best install - it's just a good idea for everyone everywhere ;) As far as I know, if your state has a law requiring kids be in the back seat only there's usually an exception in vehicles that do not allow carseats to be installed in the back.... The last link here might reveal whether or not others have used which carseats in your kind of vehicle:

scatterbunny

Ugh. Then you can't put ANY child restraint in the back, and it really isn't safe for anyone to sit back there. :(

What year is the truck? Does it have front airbags?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep, Jenny's right ... if the vehicle manual doesn't say anything about installing carseats then the carseat manual does usually say they must not be installed in side-facing seats :( (If your seat is too old have this information then it's probably expired? & should be replaced!) Most newer trucks have airbag shut-off switches or you can ask a dealer about having one installed because airbags are not safe for small children....

U

Unregistered

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. Yes, he does have a switch that turns the airbags off. Even with that, it scares me for the baby to be up front. I guess we have an ugly situation. Maybe I see a new car in the future for us. Thanks again!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Is baby in a rear-facing 5-point harness seat still? If so then being in the front isn't nearly as dangerous as it could be.... We all only do the best we can :) GOOD LUCK

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC