Intro!

Kellyr2

Hi! I'm Kelly. i've got a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old and am currently not thrilled with either of their seats but am waiting a bit to get new ones. 3 yr old is in the Cosco Ventura and my 5 yr old is in a Cosco Protek. I want the 5 yr old in either the new Apex or in a Britax booster (the husky is too wide for my car). I want the 3 yr old in anything other than this one, just because we've had it for over 3 yrs and I'm sick of it and its not that great a seat. For her, I'm waiting until Graco and Evenflo come out with their seats with harnesses up to 65 lbs. She learned to unbuckle this one a few months ago, and I had to flip the buckle around - she can't reach it right with the release thing facing inward.
My dh calls me a carseat Nazi. I''m pretty anal about them. I was planning to go to a CPS tech training class this week, but I coudlnt' make it. My dh is deployed, the class I was going to go to is in Atlanta and my family is in the area, so I was going to travel and leave the kids with family and friends while I did the class - but we just don't have the funds for travel this week. And there's a class, I think in 2 weeks, but its over an hour away from me here and I don't have childcare. So, I'm reluctantly putting it off.

ADS

KeikiHula

Welcome Kelly! Glad I'm not the only one who's dh calls them a carseat Nazi. LOL I also have been trying to take the CPS tech classes, but have had a hard time getting going with it.
This board is great. You will find so many people here who are as concerned about carseat safety as you are. After hanging around here for a few months I bought a Wizard and a BodyGuard and since then have become a Britax convert. They make great carseats and you will be happy with any of them you choose.

Smiles365

Senior Community Member
Welcome Kelly! I am also a Carseat Nazi, lol! I just finished the CPS tech class last month and am so glad that I did it. I am a SAHM (dh is active duty coast guard and works the weirdest schedule, so it's pretty hard for me to work right now) and just started working with SafeKids here in Juneau doing seat checks. I'm pretty excited about the opportunities I have now because of this. My son, Frank, is 21 months, 25 lbs, 34 inches, and still rearfacing in his Britax Roundabout. We currently live in Juneau, AK, we moved here in June and love it so far. We spent the year prior in Anchorage (dh was a reservist recalled on title 10 orders just after our son was born). We are both from the Seattle area, as much as we love the Puget Sound area, we aren't going to move back there, we've fallen in love with Alaska! Welcome to the board and good luck finding a class to take, you will love it!
~Sarah~

KeikiHula

Sarah~where in Seattle are you from? I grew up in the Kingston/Poulsbo area and we just moved to ID from Chimacum a year ago. I love it over there, but I think I am loving it here even more. LOL We were just back there this past weekend and I remembered why I love it here so much. It RAINED all weekend. And not just a little drizzle. Complete downpour for 3 days straight! LOL It sure makes it pretty, and I do miss that rich green color that you just can't find anywhere else, but I love sunny clear days the majority of the time, instead of rain for weeks on end! :rolleyes:

Smiles365

Senior Community Member
I grew up just north of Marysville, my mom and one of my brothers still live on the 5 acres we've had for as long as I can remember. My 3 other brothers live in Bellingham (they work up there), my dad lives in Everett, and dh's parents moved into our old house in Marysville when we found out we were going to be staying in Alaska for a while. I know what you mean about it being so green there, I miss that, but not the traffic! I used to drive from Snohomish it Lynnwood everyday for years and it has just gotten worse and worse everytime I go back. My mom is commuting to Vashon Island right now (she's in construction, so she never knows where she is going to be everyday), it took her over 4 hours to get there the other day from Marysville! Maybe sometime we will both be in Seattle at the same time and we could meet!
~Sarah~

scatterbunny

Hi Kelly, I'm Jenny, mom to Hayley, 4 years 4 months, 45 inches and 43 pounds, who rides in a Britax Laptop and Britax Parkway. Hopefully we'll have another harnessed seat for her soon.

I just wanted to let you know that if the Husky is too wide for your vehicle (how do you mean, it's too wide?), the Apex probably will be, as well. It's only about an inch narrower than the Husky.

Your daughter looked fairly tall in the Ventura (in the other thread where you posted the picture). Her shoulders are below the top slots, right? Just making sure. :)

Kellyr2

Yes, her shoulders are well below the top slots.
I could fit one husky only if I had a pretty narrow other seat in there - and the one my daughter is in now is pretty narrow, but I'll be replacing it when she hits 40 lbs, so I don't want to be limited too much in my options. Last year, I looked at getting 2 huskies, but I needed, like, 3 more inches of vehicle seat to do that. I've got a mini van with the bench in the middle row - not captain chairs. I SO wish I'd gotten one with the captain chairs.

Anyway - if the Apex doesn't show up in my TRU soon, I may just order one and if it doesn't work well in my car, i'll return it.
Do you happen to know exactly how wide the Apex's base is?

Oh - thanks! I just looked at the pics I took of her in her carseat on Halloween and noticed that actually, her shoulders are RIGHT at the top slot. I need to double check it with her physically in the seat, not just in pictures - but it does look like she's in more need of a new seat than my son at this point. She must have had a recent growth spurt that I didn't notice! I mean - she's still okay - but I probably need to get a new one this next pay day. I'm so glad you mentioned that though! I just undid and reinstalled her seat today and noticed that it was much looser than I like to have it (even though it doesn't budge, i could feel slack when I stood on my knees in it to unhook it). So I just got it put back in with no slack with my weight in it, and now I need a new one! But thanks for mentioning it!!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hi Kelly :) I love intros, especially the "Carseat Nazi Anonymous" kind :p WELCOME :D

My biodaughter is almost 4 - sadly, I made the mistake of turning her FF waaaaay to early (too embarassed to say when specifically) after spending hundreds of dollars on seats that wouldn't fit in our vehicle ... then I found this board & contacted our local CPS tech, bought my Britax & have been hooked on them ever since, LOL - she reverted back to RF around her 2nd birthday & stayed RF till just a couple months ago!

Her big half sister was out of a carseat by her 3rd birthday, but I'd always insisted she use a booster in my car ... after finding this board I got her a Husky for my car & her biomom has her back in a booster in their car! However, my biodaughter is now taking the Husky over as my stepdaughter's mom has a new preemie who we're handing down our Britax convertibles to....

Both girls also use the Britax Parkway on occasion - I feel quite safe with that seat because I know they both have the ability to use it properly & they're very comfortable in it - I believe you'd like that booster if a larger harness seat (up to 65 or 80 pounds) for your 5 year old doesn't fit your vehicle?

scatterbunny

The Apex is about 20.5 inches wide, and the Husky is about 21.5 inches wide. With only an inch difference, and with the Husky having 2" taller top slots and 15 more pounds on the harness weight limit, I'd choose that, hands-down, as long as the budget allows it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC