First day of class

libranbutterfly

I had my first day of CPS class today. It went pretty well. There are 8 people in my class, three moms, 4 from one hospital, and one from another :D

I do have a couple questions, though
One of the instructors said that some HWH seats, like th Regent and also the SN seats, use 2 tethers instead of just one. She said that she had installed one that way before. I just read both versions of the Regent Manual, The Husky Manual, and the Super Elite Manual, and I didn't see anything that said it had 2 top tethers. Are there any seats that have 2 top tethers?

The same instructor also said that with the LA and tethers, you have to add the childs weight and the seats weight, and if that goes over the LATCH limit, then you have to use the seatbelt. That would mean in most cars with a 48 lb LATCH limit, and a MA or Radian, Then you would have to use seatbelt by around 30 lbs. So, what is your take on this?? thanks!

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Wow that is a small class! And lots of moms, yay! :love:

She is wrong about the child's weight + car seat weight being the LATCH limit. It's just the child's weight.

As far as the tether, the Regent (like all Britaxes) has a split tether instead of the one strap like on other seats, but it doesn't have two tethers :confused:

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
As far as the tether, the Regent (like all Britaxes) has a split tether instead of the one strap like on other seats, but it doesn't have two tethers :confused:

The Britax special needs seat does have two tether hooks. They are both on the same tether strap and it looks exactly the same as the regent only there are two hooks that you would hook to two anchors. The same thing is on older versions of the Husky. We had one to play with at my tech class. :thumbsup:

ETA: It's because the SN seat goes to a higher weight. I don't know why they stopped putting two hooks on the Husky.

libranbutterfly

I thought that was what it was. She also kept refering to Britax as European seats, saying that was why they allow RF tethering. She didnt know that the radian could RF tether. Luckily there were 2 radian owners in te class to correct her.

OK. I was thinking maybe on some of the SN seats, but wasnt sure. I knew it sounded wierd, and when I asked her which seat, she said Regent.

southpawboston

The same instructor also said that with the LA and tethers, you have to add the childs weight and the seats weight, and if that goes over the LATCH limit, then you have to use the seatbelt. That would mean in most cars with a 48 lb LATCH limit, and a MA or Radian, Then you would have to use seatbelt by around 30 lbs. So, what is your take on this?? thanks!

:mad::mad: gosh, you'd think instructors would get with the program!!!

geesh... i think some regulars here know more than some of these instructors.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She's very wrong about the weight issue. That needs to be corrected.

Britax is a European company, as far as I know. English, I think (britax.com's contact info is in the UK). And the Radian was designed by a former Britax engineer. :) Hence the similarities.

Your class size is awesome! There are four moms there who want to be there? Out of eight people? That HAS to be a record. I was the only one out of 25 who wanted to be there.

Wendy

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
:mad::mad: gosh, you'd think instructors would get with the program!!!

One of the reasons they changes the recert process was in hope techs and instructors will have to stay more up to date. Before there was just a test to take. Now they are requiring 6 CEU's, 5 seat checks and a community event then it has required some to learn.

I have seen more of this lately.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Sounds like a great class! Britax does make a SN seat that has 2 tether straps, but the Regent is not one. The instructor needs to read a manual.

libranbutterfly

She had a clek olli that she won at a conference, but she said we didn't have to worry about that much, since no one is going to spend $80 on a booster. She just wanted to show us the rigid latch bars on it.

libranbutterfly

She's very wrong about the weight issue. That needs to be corrected.

Britax is a European company, as far as I know. English, I think (britax.com's contact info is in the UK). And the Radian was designed by a former Britax engineer. :) Hence the similarities.

Your class size is awesome! There are four moms there who want to be there? Out of eight people? That HAS to be a record. I was the only one out of 25 who wanted to be there.

Wendy

Three moms that completely want to be there on their own, and 1 mom and 1 dad that work in the hospital we are having it in and that work with children who have been in accidents (it is a rehabilitation center).the hospital wanted some people to take the course.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I don't know about nobody wanting to spend $80 on a booster but I can tell you that you probably won't get a lot of people coming to get you to check their boosters.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

My guess would be that he/she is mixing up how they test the anchors vs. how the manufacturer gives recommended weight limits. The standards is 70lbs - and that's a combined weight of child and child restaint. So when car manufacturers give lower limits it's because they're taking into account the maximum amount they figure a carseat is going to weigh and allowing the child to weigh the difference. So the vehicle with a 48lb limit is factoring in an allowance that the carseat might weigh up to 22lbs - and in actuality I'm not sure there are any seats much heavier than that... That's why manufacturers who put a 40lb limit are considered to be so conservative. :thumbsup:
(And also why Ford gives a different weight limit dependant on the type of restraint being used, vests are authorized straight from Ford to be ok with the factory TA up to 60lbs.)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

I think it's a guarantee. Because we keep up to date here and don't just do the minimum.

I don't know about nobody wanting to spend $80 on a booster but I can tell you that you probably won't get a lot of people coming to get you to check their boosters.

I've had a few, but mostly they're there for seats, or they just moved to a booster (and needed to move back, as it was). $80 for a booster is nothing. I think that's a great price, depending on what features you want. I guess the instructor would have died when she heard about the Recaro Start, huh? (Booster only, $350).

Wendy

libranbutterfly

I think it's a guarantee. Because we keep up to date here and don't just do the minimum.

I've had a few, but mostly they're there for seats, or they just moved to a booster (and needed to move back, as it was). $80 for a booster is nothing. I think that's a great price, depending on what features you want. I guess the instructor would have died when she heard about the Recaro Start, huh? (Booster only, $350).

Wendy

Definately. I kept thinking that is alot for a backless, but a good booster is generaly around that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC