Flying with 4 carseats

hockeywoman

We will be flying on Midwest Airlines in May with 4 carseats - 1 GN, 1 FPSVD, 1 MA, and 1 RN. We are planning to put the GN and RN together in one row, and the MA and FPSVD next to myself and my husband. The planes are either the CRJ's (3 legs) or a 717. On the 717, the armrests are not moveable. Any experience with installing 2 carseats in the same row, with one being on the aisle seat, since all these planes are a 2x2 configuration?

Also, are there any issues with putting the youngers in their carseats and strapping those to a luggage cart to go through the airport? They are 27 and 35 #.

Thanks!

ADS

R&J'sMom

When my DH flew with my DS in October, we were told that a carseat can only be installed in a window seat. We were told this by US Airways when I booked the tickets. I would call your airline and ask what their policy is.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There's no problem at all putting your kids in their seats on a luggage cart. You might want to look into the Traveling Toddler, it may be something you like. Maybe two luggage carts and two Traveling Toddlers?

Unless you're thinking kid specific I'd probably break up the two Britaxes. Those are going to be pushing on each other and may stick out into the aisle a bit. I haven't tried putting them together, but I'd think the Radian and a Britax and then the GN and a Britax would work better next to one another. Especially if the 27#er is rear facing in one.

And for the PP, they've stopped the recommendation of next to the window only. A lot of FAs don't realize that, but now you're allowed to put them whereever. But with this particular case they're not going to make the parents take up four windows and put two kids next to strangers. There's no way the parents would be able to get to them in an emergency, and you can't really ask a stranger to do that (I'm sure 99% would, it's just not right to put the responsibility of a child in a carseat on them). I've seen two kids and a parent in a single row often. You just put them in the two inner seats. You *can* put yourself in the middle now (in a three seat situation) but it's probably harder to get in and out than it's worth.

As for the 717, I didn't know they had unmovable armrests. That's going to be tough for everything but the Radian. Possible, but tough I think. Maybe extenders all around for the other three? I don't know at all.

Wendy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The reccomendation wasn't specifically a window seat as much as it was, the seat can't block another person, in this case the seats are going next to each other so it's not blocking anyone.

We flew in Sept and had a small plane, 2 seats on one side, 1 on the other and we took the Radian, a Scenera, and the SS1 and didn't have any problems. I can't for the life of me remember if the armrests were movable, they definitely weren't on Evan's seat since he sat in the 1 seat by itself.

hockeywoman

We are planning to break up the britaxes, one by me and one by my DH. We'd like to put the GN and RN next to each other behind two of us.

Unless you're thinking kid specific I'd probably break up the two Britaxes. Those are going to be pushing on each other and may stick out into the aisle a bit. I haven't tried putting them together, but I'd think the Radian and a Britax and then the GN and a Britax would work better next to one another. Especially if the 27#er is rear facing in one.

Wendy

On the Midwest 717 they have unmoveable armrests, at least the last time I flew, between the two seats. But they are very wide - so maybe that will help. We'll definitely try extenders if we can't get it any other way.

As for the 717, I didn't know they had unmovable armrests. That's going to be tough for everything but the Radian. Possible, but tough I think. Maybe extenders all around for the other three? I don't know at all.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

We flew in December to Florida with one car seat - occupied by my 2 year old son. We had installed the seat in the middle, but was asked to move it to the window. This was so there was clearance all the way across. If you were an adult seated in the window seat and had to get out of your seat quickly, you may be stuck. Our son's legs are short and do not really dangle over the seat making it impossible to get by him.

So, as everyone is advising you - check with you airline. They may or may not allow you to bring so many seats on board. (They are also now checking for the "approved for flight travel stickers") Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC