2006 Honda Civic Sedan

P

phogsten

Hello,

I just purchased a new car, a 2006 Honda Civic Sedan. The 2 major reasons why I purchased this vehicle was:

Its many safety features (only 2 listed here):
  • Front Side Airbags with Passenger-Side Occupant Position Detection System

• Dual-Stage, Dual-Threshold Front Airbags (SRS)
    Dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags (SRS) deploy at one of two rates and thresholds, depending on the severity of impact and seat-belt use.

Gas mileage (30/40 mpg). The car seat from my other car is in bad shape (torn cover) and only goes to 40 pounds with the 5 point harness.

My 4 year old son is now 45 pounds and 44" tall.

I am considering a Booster, maybe a Recaro Young “Sport” or possibly a Recaro “Young Style”. I like the Sport’s aluminum frame; I am not sure what material the Young Style is constructed of…..

I would like to go with a 5-point harness and am considering a “SafeGuard” (due to its aluminum construction and the fact that the harness retracts when in a accident) or possibly a much less alternative a “Ride Ryte Full-Back Booster Seat” with a “Kid Y Harness” for $120.00 from Safety Angel.

Let me know if anyone has any other recommendations and/or if you can provide any information pertaining to the above choices.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited:
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd consider the Safeguard, the Husky, or the Recaro Start (that's the aluminum one)... the EZon harness just really isn't very easy to use, and requries a lapbelt, anyway. The first two are harnessed seats, the last is a VERY nice booster only seat (the shoulderbelt locks off, so even usually-wiggly 4 yo's can be 'clamped' in place).

The Britax Parkway and Recaro Young Style are more simple, plastic framed booster-only seats, but they have side impact design and testing, and you have locking belts in your car to clamp him in if he gets sleepy or wiggly.

:)

P

phogsten

What does every one think of the following seats?

Cosco Apex
Harness can be used from 20-65 lbs. Seat converts to a high back belt-positioning booster for use from 30-100 lbs.

Car Seat Specialty Nania Legend SP
This redesigned seat is supposed to harness from 22-65 lbs, then convert to a high back belt positioning booster up to 100 lbs.

Thanks,

Paul

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They are definitely lower quality seats. (Haven't seen the new Nania, but they are in the habit of making tremendously poor quality seats, I don't have high hopes for this one)....the Apex isn't bad, but there's nothing special about it...not much padding, no EPS foam, can't be used without a vehicle headrest to support the child's head (not a problem in your car, but I'm shocked by a seat that can't support a child's head from whiplash injury 'on it's own').

You can see the Apex at Toys R Us and decide for yourself...or if not, look at the Cosco or Eddie Bauer seats, it is the same thing, but bigger.

I only bothered to recommend the high quality seats to you ;)

:)

P

phogsten

Thanks for the info. I went to 3 different Toy's R Us stores yesterday and none had a Apex.

Paul

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Try calling them all back and asking about the "Lancer"...that's the fabric name, but in their computer system it's the seat name, so maybe they could find it then... :)...some people have found that they are hidden in the back, not on display yet.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I haven't seen the Apex yet in person, but we have a Husky & Kid-Y with RideRyte ... my kiddo likes the EZOn, but only as her spare seat for short trips in my dad's older Ford truck. She is very happy with her Husky :) If I manage to maintain income enough to keep my vehicle (long story @@), I'm thinking of getting the Apex for use when riding with my fiance. GOOD LUCK

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Just as a side note to the great advice you have already-

Not much reason to pay extra for the Recaro Young Sport, since your child has already outgrown the 40 pound limit on the harness. As for aluminum frames, current plastic frames can be very strong. Any safety benefit to a properly designed child restraint would be for a harnessed or combination model rather than a booster, where the seatbelt is the primary restraint and the booster is mostly a positioning device.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC