DH got a photo of a racecar driver suit with 5pt harness..

jwren

Thought I would share.. It was hanging on a wall, but he knew I was curious about how it fits, compared to our son's 5pt harness...so he took a picture. Notice there is no buckle at the crotch... just a strap, the buckle is what hurts DS.. Also notice the gap between the straps to let "the goods" have some space..:whistle:;) I imagine the "MEN" can adjust themselves...:whistle:

View attachment 1610

PS: I am actually not totally sure that this is not considered 6pt, but he said the crotch strap comes up through the seat, so I can't tell if that crotch belt merges into one belt or two...I would think it's one.. but not sure..

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
That's neat.

Jwren, you have mentioned many times how your son is uncomfortable in his Marathon. I have to ask: there are seats currently available that would fit him better. You have also indicated that you can afford to purchase new seats. Why are you waiting -- maybe months -- if it is such an issue for him? I know, I have a daughter so I couldn't possibly understand about penises and stuff, but if she was as uncomfortable as you seem to believe your son is, she'd be in a new seat next week.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
That's neat.

Jwren, you have mentioned many times how your son is uncomfortable in his Marathon. I have to ask: there are seats currently available that would fit him better. You have also indicated that you can afford to purchase new seats. Why are you waiting -- maybe months -- if it is such an issue for him? I know, I have a daughter so I couldn't possibly understand about penises and stuff, but if she was as uncomfortable as you seem to believe your son is, she'd be in a new seat next week.
This is the exact reason I moved my ds out of the MA... he kept complaining about it pinching his parts. He's in a Radian now, its much, much better!!!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Dh's harness is different than that one. I will see if I can get a pic of him in the car this weekend. It is hard since I do not go in the pits anymore. No promises.

At first glance I did not think that was a racing harness and it was a Hans device ised for racing. Then I saw it said Simpson on the harness straps.

ETA: I have never seen a harness like that.

jwren

I believe this is Nascar, I will have to ask dh.
As for the seat and waiting, I have tried my son in several seats, the only one that he fit in was the regent, I am not going to buy that seat it is way too big and ds hated it btw... even though he fit in it perfect.. radian too narrow, safeguard same problem with crotch and extra slots. I considered the GN but then heard the same problem with the crotch. My son actually fits in the MA pretty well still, the crotch depth (as I am now being told) is suppose to be tight, but the problem is really where the buckle is sitting. (anyone know if the GN is any better there with the buckle? it might still be a good seat to have as an extra, I could buy that one now and use it till the frontier is out, then give it to grandma;))

He hasn't complained about it much lately and he knows it's only a few more weeks till his new seat is out. I really don't know what else to do, I am just thankful that the frontier will address the crotch problem as I was running out of options...

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
My husband is the 2007 NASCAR Whelen All American Series State Champion. His car is NASCAR regulated. They do have different types of harness avaiable that are approved by NASCAR that is probably just one i have not seen. ;)

ETA: Here is last years end of the season point standings. DH is #1 AZ. We went to a big NASCAR banquet in Vegas it was pretty cool! He hope to be able to defend his title and go again this year :D http://localracing.nascar.com/node/255

mish

The Nautilus has the pad behind the buckle, so if where the buckle sits is an issue I imagine that would help. Both of my boys call it a pee pee protector, so at least they think it is more comfortable there. Have you sat him in one? I really think you should at least try it. You may love it.

NOAHSMOM

(anyone know if the GN is any better there with the buckle? it might still be a good seat to have as an extra, I could buy that one now and use it till the frontier is out, then give it to grandma;))

The GN buckle strap is longer than the MA so the fit is quite different. My son has yet to complain. He complained sometimes about the FPSVD buckle, then I would unbuckle it, loosen it, buckle it and tighten it again and he was fine.

jwren

I have been unable to try him in a GN, walmart mounts theirs to the top shelf so it's impossible to try them out. How have any of you been able to do it? thanks

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have been unable to try him in a GN, walmart mounts theirs to the top shelf so it's impossible to try them out. How have any of you been able to do it? thanks

You can always return it if it doesn't fit him. You're in the same position with the Frontier anyways. :thumbsup:

Mommy2Five

(anyone know if the GN is any better there with the buckle? it might still be a good seat to have as an extra, I could buy that one now and use it till the frontier is out, then give it to grandma;))

The GN crotchstrap is longer (I've been told) and aparentl sits differently on the child. Here is a pic of my son who will be 9 in June harnessed in his GN. You can kind of see that the buckle sits up above his "boy parts". He hasn't had any complaints about the crotch room yet,

IMG_0051-1.jpg

jwren

yeah that looks much better now my only other concern is will it latch or tether in booster mode, if not the weight might concern me..I know with the frontier you can..
As for the crotch on the frontier, the photos show three positions so we should be good there.

The GN crotchstrap is longer (I've been told) and aparentl sits differently on the child. Here is a pic of my son who will be 9 in June harnessed in his GN. You can kind of see that the buckle sits up above his "boy parts". He hasn't had any complaints about the crotch room yet,

IMG_0051-1.jpg

mish

It doesn't sound like it is about strap position as much as lenght of strap. A taller (longer) strap wouldn't sit right on his privates like his current seat. Even if you could move the strap out on his MA, wouldn't it still hit him in the same place? I don't know if anyone has measured the length of the strap on the Frontier, but it might be something to consider.

jwren

Good point, I guess if the strap was longer and that made the buckle sit higher it wouldn't bother him as bad. I would like to know about that as well, length of strap.

It doesn't sound like it is about strap position as much as lenght of strap. A taller (longer) strap wouldn't sit right on his privates like his current seat. Even if you could move the strap out on his MA, wouldn't it still hit him in the same place? I don't know if anyone has measured the length of the strap on the Frontier, but it might be something to consider.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
yeah that looks much better now my only other concern is will it latch or tether in booster mode, if not the weight might concern me..I know with the frontier you can..
As for the crotch on the frontier, the photos show three positions so we should be good there.

No, the Nautilus doesn't latch or tether in booster mode. However, from the chat with the engineer from sunshine kids who designed both the radian convertible and the monterey booster seat, the latch aspect of a booster is a benefit primarily in the sense that it prevents the seat from being a projectile. The Monterey is a heavy seat, and he said that there is no concern about the weight of a booster added to the weight of a child in a crash - that crash testing differences between LATCH and non-LATCH were minimal if any. He said that LATCH might provide a bit more stability in a side impact collision, but he definitely gave the impression that he felt it was there only to prevent it from being a projectile and nothing else.

And what they allow with it is reflected in this - they allow non-standard LATCH spacing with the monterey - because the seat isn't what's restraining the child, they just want the anchors to hold the booster seat so it doesn't become a projectile in a crash if left unbuckled when unoccupied. The Radian they outright do not allow non-standard spacing even when the vehicle manufacturer allows it.

There isn't any real world data to give concern about the weight of a booster seat having an affect on a child that I'm aware of. I think most of it is hypothetical concern because at one time boosters were limited to the maximum weight they were allowed to be. LATCH'able in booster mode should be looked at in a similar light to rf'ing tether IMO.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC