Which Booster's to receommend.

BudgieStew

What are some of the better boosters in Canada.

Hi,

I don't know much about booster's as my children as not any where near using one yet.

I am wondering of there are any height restrictions a for booster use as the child who will be using it its shorter then my DS who is 40 inches. He is newly turned 4 years old and around 40 lb.....

My Aunt asked me last evening which booster she should get for her grandson in the next couple of months as he is not quite 40 lb. yet.

I told her that legally he is allowed to be in booster but if I were the parent I would still keep him harnessed.
But of course that is a parental decision and it looks like rather then buying a new higher weight seat my cousin will be moving him to a booster.

They are aware of where the belt should be placed etc. I hope I made an impression that maturity plays a factor as well.

My Aunt drives an early 80's BMW or a 1999 Dodge Durango and it most likely will get put in my other Aunts Corolla sometimes.

Some links on maturity and proper booster use as well as links to recommended booster in Canada would be great.

I really want to tell them to get the Nautilus so he can use it for the harness and then booster and it seems like it would be in the price range they are expecting to spend. Any one have a better idea of when it expected?

Also another Aunt was wondering if it was okay to put her tallish 7 year old in a low back booster. They drive a newish sedan that has head rests in the back.
Any imput on low back boosters? When is it okay to start using them?

Also wondering why even after I fixed my typo in the title it doesn't take.:confused:

Last edited:
ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Re: What are some of the better boosters in Canada.

These would be my top booster picks:

Booster Seats:
Britax Parkway ($120):
The Britax Parkway belt-positioning booster has been designed for increased safety incorporating deep torso and adjustable height head support.
Forward Facing: use only with children whose weight is at least 18 kg (40 lbs.) and whose height is at least 97 cm (38 in.)- 38 inches to 60 inches tall
True Side Impact Protection,
The seat shape correctly positions the lap belt over your child's pelvis while the shoulder belt guide keeps the vehicle belt comfortably away from his/her neck.
Plush, washable fabrics
convenient drink
snack trays
reclining backrest
color coded vehicle belt guides

Evenflo Confidence ($110):
forward-facing only for children 40-100 lb.
independent lap and back adjustments help ensure proper fit
converts to a backless booster seat
foam in seat for comfort
removable and washable seat pad
retractable arm rests
2 retractable cup holders
handy storage space

Graco Turbo Booster ($80):
forward-facing for children 40-100 lb.
height-adjustable head support
seat pad is removable for washing
belt positioners help keep vehicle's seat belt slightly away from the neck area
easily converts to backless booster seat

What exactly is mature enough for a booster:

The brain synapses that govern impulse control do not fully develop until age 5 - 6 years old. This is what is meant by mature enough... a child needs to have that impulse control in order to stay correctly positioned for the entire trip.

If they can't do this, then they are not restrained correctly. Occasionally a 4 year old will be mature enough (have that impulse control) to sit correctly for the entire trip, but more often than not it's the 5 - 6 year old range.

Sitting correctly means that:

*the lap belt is nice and low across their hips/thighs.

*the shoulder belt is crossing the center of their chest/shoulder.

*they are not leaning out of this position to talk to their neighbour, pick up a toy, twisting around to see what just passed by outside the window... you get the picture.

*It also means they can stay awake... most kids that fall asleep will slump out of position and will no longer be correctly restrained.

As far as backless boosters, they don't offer the protection that a highback booster does. If they are set on one then as long as they have headrests then it should be okay.

Mommy090804

We aren't anywhere near booster weight/age either, but just another question because we know lots of people that think their kids are ready for a booster...

Any comments on the Compass Folding booster advertised in the Canadian Today's Parent magazine? :question: The advertisement notes that it is available at Zellers, The Bay, Sears, select Wal-Mart stores & other fine speciality stores...

Jewels

Senior Community Member
We aren't anywhere near booster weight/age either, but just another question because we know lots of people that think their kids are ready for a booster...

Any comments on the Compass Folding booster advertised in the Canadian Today's Parent magazine? :question: The advertisement notes that it is available at Zellers, The Bay, Sears, select Wal-Mart stores & other fine speciality stores...

Our Walmart doesn't have one on display so I have never played with one. One thing I would check for is what the height of the seat back is when it is at the tallest setting. I found on the Learning Curve website that it is 30" and if that is correct for the Canadian seats as well then I would think if the child is comfortable in it then it would be a decent seat.

I know that Compass used to have their boosters by a letter and then numbers to follow and I had heard that the ones we have here have shorter seat backs.

BudgieStew

Thanks, I passed on all the information to my Aunt's.
Along with the names of some higher weight combo seats just in case the info swayed them into not using a booster yet.

eta I just got an e-mail back from my Aunt who asked about using a low back booster and she said that she will continue to use the high back rather then risk my cousin's safety.:thumbsup:

BudgieStew

My other Aunt just ordered a Parkway last night.
I am slightly disappointed that they decided to get a booster rather then a HWH seat but that is a parental decision.

I do admit that I can't wait to play with it...

Jewels

Senior Community Member
My other Aunt just ordered a Parkway last night.
I am slightly disappointed that they decided to get a booster rather then a HWH seat but that is a parental decision.

I do admit that I can't wait to play with it...

Those are nice seats :)

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Parkway is a nice seat - highest seatbelt guides and highest seatback (vs. the Graco Turbo and Evenflo big Kids that I compared)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In all honestly, my son has been using his older brother's Parkway here and there since shortly after his 4th birthday. It's not something I would use (for him) as a full-time seat or on long drives, but we found that he sat great in it for around town in DH's SUV. It totally depends on the child, and I'm definitely more comfortable with a mature child sitting in a properly utilized booster versus an improperly used harnessed seat. Often parents who are less CPS savvy tend to make errors on harnessed seats that, by the nature of the design, cannot be made when using a booster.

-Nicole.

BudgieStew

Our DS is about two months younger then the child that will be using the Parkway and there is no way in heck I would even consider using a booster but yes different children have different maturity levels.

And yes the booster will be used properly. His current seat has a limit of 40 lb. and he is this close to hitting(one of the Eddie Bauer 3-1)

I should ask them what they are going to do with the Eddie Bauer as I am almost 100% sure it would have the RF 35 lb limit, not expired and has no accidents.

I just wish the Nautilus was available here as it would have been an ideal alternative to a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC