Best spot for baby in Bronco?

M

Mori

What's the best location for a car seat in a '96 Ford Bronco? There is no passenger side airbag in the front. The back seems like the best spot but if the vehicle were to roll, the back seat would be much more likely to be crushed due to the fiberglass top. It's more stable than a SUV, but less so than a car. Should I go front seat rear facing here? Thanks!

ADS
M

Mori

Boy you're fast!

I'm mostly concerned that if I'm in an accident and the truck rolls, the rear passengers will be flattened. I'm not sure that will happen of course. I just think it might. I've been trying to learn what happens to rear passengers in rollover Broncos but there isn't much information. (The 4x4 community has been helpful, but they tend to roll their Broncos at low speeds...)

All seats in the vehicle are OK for car seats according to the manual (except presumably the driver's seat). And the seat will fit anywhere--it's a pretty spacious back seat. In addition to my paranoia about rolling, I noticed that if I put the new car seat (Britax Wizard) in the center, the rear view mirror is pretty useless. If I can't work around that (bigger bubble mirrors on the sides maybe?) I'll have to use an outboard position anyway.

Ah well. Decisions decisions. Just wondering if there were any established guidelines about fiberglass roofs on vehicles that may roll. I'm just not sure.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
How many passengers do you usually have? The 5-point seat with EPS foam would be better outboard than a "loose" passenger, meaning adolescents & adults without the extra safety of such a harness & head protection ... but, if you have lap only belts anywhere you might want to get the EZOn 86-Y harness(es) - a dealership or local tech should help install the tether anchor(s) & EZOn customer service were very helpful telling me whether or not the anchor could be installed in my dad's Ford F250 [our 86-Y cost a total of $45 including shipping & tether anchor].

M

Mori

There are shoulder belts for all but the middle rear seat, which just has the lap belt (one more reason that the car seat should go there!). The usual passengers are just the baby and husband. I'm thinking of putting the baby in the back where she belongs and getting a roll bar installed so I don't feel paranoid. It's a very sturdy vehicle aside from the roof.

Thanks so much for the help!

KeikiHula

My dh drives an '88 K-5 Blazer and I had the same worries about the fiberglass roof. First, a roll bar is a GREAT idea. It's the only way I will feel totally safe with the kids in the back of his Blazer. Second, at least in the Blazers, and I'm assuming in the Bronco's too, just ahead of where the roof comes off, there is more or less a built in roll bar, so the roof won't completly just crush. It adds extra re-enforcment to make up for the fiberglass roof.
I still worry about the roof being ripped off (saw it happen to my friend's 70's Land Cruiser when he was goofing off and flipped it at about 60MPH) and stuff hitting passengers in the back, but as far as anyone getting smushed, they should be ok. Esp for a kid in a 5pt harness. I would worry more about adults in the back, or even the front, being ejected, than I would about a kid in a Wizard. Also, I would assume the middle would still be the safest spot since it would be the farthest away from anything that could hit her.

M

Mori

Thanks...I think this will work. Now I just have to make the baby and car seat transparent! ;)

KeikiHula

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't use my rear view mirror for stuff like backing, where you have to actually see everything, I just glance in it every so often while I'm driving, and even though the carseats are in the way, I still get the general idea of what's behind me. I think I use my side mirrors more than anything. But it could be b/c in my old truck (when I first learned to drive) the rear view mirrior kept falling down b/c the ball joint part was worn out, so I just got used to driving with out one. :rolleyes:

I hope you feel a little better about having your baby in your Bronco. We didn't have the money for a new car, so we drove 2 cars that were ok, but not ideal for kids ('88 Blazer and '88 Jeep Cherokee). We finally were able to afford a new(er) Durango and haven't had to have the kids in the Blazer since. I refuse to drive a mini van (nuthin against all you that have them. I think they are great for families, I just can't do it LOL), but it is so nice to have a kid friendly car. Trying to get both kids in their carseats in the Blazer was getting misserable b/c there wasn't enough room for me to sit in the backseat while I buckled them in, and I would have to bend Cody over the top of his seat to get him in it since he is RF'ing. Add that to me just not feeling great about the fiberglass roof made me very happy to find a new car. ;) Although I did feel better about drivng a big "truck" if we were to get into an accident. I am so freaked out about hitting a moose in my Durango now...LOL

M

Mori

I'm sure side mirrors will do it--if not, there are a million pickups with shells that are verrrrrrrrry dangerous! I understand about the minivan. I do. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC