Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pictures of the Evenflo Discovery "fix"

That's the saddest and scariest "fix" I've ever seen. So many babies are going to be in some serious danger because of that. Ugh.
    Mel, Canadian CRST mom to
    E - 4.5 years, 42 pounds and 43.5'' - harnessed in a Graco Nautilus
    and missing Noelle (stillborn, 12/08.)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

After looking at the pictures more closely, I wonder how you even COULD do that in a vehicle. You wouldn't have too much problem hooking the side closest to you, I suppose. But to do the other side, you'd have to reach ALL the way over (or under) the infant seat, grab the hook, hook it into the hole (which you can't see, because it's under the handle, and you're on the other side of it anyway), and then tighten it.

With your baby in the seat.

No way.

I think everyone who has this seat (or who has had it, and maybe still has it registered) should complain to Evenflo and demand a new seat.

I haven't been as down on Evenflo as others in the past, but this really makes me mad.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BookMama View Post
    After looking at the pictures more closely, I wonder how you even COULD do that in a vehicle. You wouldn't have too much problem hooking the side closest to you, I suppose. But to do the other side, you'd have to reach ALL the way over (or under) the infant seat, grab the hook, hook it into the hole (which you can't see, because it's under the handle, and you're on the other side of it anyway), and then tighten it.
    To add to the above, a lot of people have infant seats placed right next to other carseats. There often isn't much room to grab this little hook strap and get it connected to the seat which is smushed right next to a big carseat.

I agree with BookMomma that if you have this seat, contact Discovery and complain that you want another seat. This isn't the steps you intended to do when you initially bought the seat, and it is no longer convenient using their fix. If you do call, let us know what Evenflo says to you.

Quote Originally Posted by BookMama View Post

With your baby in the seat.

No way.

I think everyone who has this seat (or who has had it, and maybe still has it registered) should complain to Evenflo and demand a new seat.

I haven't been as down on Evenflo as others in the past, but this really makes me mad.
    I agree. It *may* be ok to do if you have 1 child and can access both sides easily. For me personally if I was going to be taking the carrier in and out I would not use the base. If I had to use the "fix" with the base I would leave the carrier in the car and carry the infant. That brings me to if I am just leaving the carrier in the car why not go get a convertible seat.

Not very smart on Evenflos part.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

That's brutal!

I thought I read that NHTSA had tested Evenflo's fix and it worked? Does anyone else remember reading this?

Quote Originally Posted by azgirl71 View Post
    Talk about a cheap solution. I too see people not using this "fix" because it will be too much trouble. I will teach a caregiver to use it with the fix as well as with out the base if I get one come through.

Well, this ought to add to the misuse statistic. I see a ton of these seats around. More unsafe children traveling about...Oh boy.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen a Discovery used correctly. The handle is usually up on every one I see. Sometimes the straps aren't to bad, but the handle thing, ugh. These seats are very popular around here because they are cheap.
    Jacky, CPST and mom to Kenzie(5) and Maverick(3) Riding in a Frontier, Marathon 70 and Radian, Safety 1st Store N Go and Evenflo Right Fit

Carseat Crazy

PMSL @ Evenflo... they never can come up with good solutions. Lets hope sales drop and they put their heads together and come up with a great seat - just like Graco has done with the GN (following on from some of their past nasties).

I always see handles up on infant carriers in the car.

I know I always left ours up. It had toys hanging on it.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

You have GOT to be kidding me Evenflo!!!!

I started a new thread, showing the recalled and the new Discovery side by side:

Pics of new vs. recalled discovery

You know how some parents find the OHS seats to be safer, because of the bar? I wonder how many parents might think that the "fix" is a...feature... kwim?
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

Judi, do you mind if a friend of mine used your pictures on a About.com site? She'd like to write a blog about it and use some pictures. Would that be ok with you? If not, no big deal.. I can hopefully take some shots next week for her, but you already have them.

Thanks!
    Jen E. - CPST-I with 12 years experience.

Go for it. We are here to teach, right?

Thanks Judi!!!!
    Jen E. - CPST-I with 12 years experience.

They had this on display at Consumer Reports on Thursday. It is as bad in person as the pictures if not worse.

Oy!

Heather Ann
    CPST since 2003

I just installed this seat with the fix for someone last week it was just awful!!! I told her my recommendation was to leave the seat in the car and not bother taking it out anymore, i did teach her how to use it if she decides to take it out. it was just so stupid!

Clarissa
    Clarissa -Mommy to Caden June 29 04 64# in moterey, Clara Oct 19 2007 32#ff in recaro prosport, Chloe Jan 14 2009 36# ff in radian Ceagan Feb 23 2010! 29# in a TFP

I hear Evenflo is refunding money?