Pictures of the Evenflo Discovery "fix"

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Just the everyone would like to see what Evenflo thinks is a proper fix.

First, here is the latch type strap that comes in the mail:

IMG_5036Small.jpg

On the strap, there is a warning:

IMG_5039Small.jpg

You put the hook, through the hole in the base:

IMG_5037Small.jpg

Go up, and back through the other hole in the base:

IMG_5041Small.jpg

I then put the car seat back on to its base. Here is a pic of the hole under the handle that you are to hook to.

IMG_5042Small.jpg

And here, after hooking the non latch hook:

IMG_5043Small.jpg

Here is a pic from the back with the fix now installed. Note, after hooking both hooks, you then have to cinch it down:

IMG_5045Small.jpg

So, to use your very convenient carrier, simply loosen the strap, unhook from both sides, then unhook carrier from base, because of the lovely plastic hook on the bases front. Oh joy!

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
So, this metal hook is hooked on to plastic? And they aren't concerned that it could potentially break the plastic in a collision? Holy crap. :jaw:

Evenflo, you suck.

mominabigtruck

Hmmm, what's the point of the base then if you have to install the carrier everytime:confused: You might as well just not use the base at all or just use a convertible:thumbsdown:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Hmmm, what's the point of the base then if you have to install the carrier everytime:confused: You might as well just not use the base at all or just use a convertible:thumbsdown:

Exactly what DH said. Might as well not even use the base. I said that they should half just recalled it all together, to save face. A coworker reminded me, that they don't have any face left!

Mommy2Marcus

OMG! You're kidding me right...Oh wait..you're not! I do not see that working for them at all! I mean do they really think this is going to work? Man oh Man!

MomToEliEm

Wow, that is sure to lead to misuse by many parents using this seat.

I wonder if this is standard on the "new and improved" Discovery seats that are already in the stores. I cannot see too many parents going to that much trouble to get an infant into their seats. They want to snap and go, not mess with some tether thing connecting the seat to the base.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
OMG - that hook doens't actually HOOK does it ? It just kind of sits there, right ?

You are totally right. I just slid it down in the hole. It is not really hooked on. Anyone else think it is weird that all these hole were all conveniently already there?

cpsaddict

I would imagine it would be pretty easy to yank that thing off the base, or at least partly, thus undoing the "hooks". I use the term hooks loosely. The Discovery must only come off the base in a crash, because I sure as heck can't get it off. :rolleyes: What a joke. How can they do so good with the Triumph and fail miserably at almost every thing else they make?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Talk about a cheap solution. I too see people not using this "fix" because it will be too much trouble. I will teach a caregiver to use it with the fix as well as with out the base if I get one come through.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What I find most interesting, is aside from some problems with labelling or tags, (one is a shipment of seats that had US hang tags on CDN seats,) all of the evenflo recalls since 1997 have been on infant carriers. Maybe evenflo should go back to the drawing board on the infant carrier since that seems to be where they've had their problems that have caused safety related recalls.

I agree that fix kit looks like a huge PITA. I'm not positive if the discovery has ever been sold in Canada - anyone happen to know? If it has been, TC hasn't issued a recall on it yet... I'm figuring it's just a matter of time though if it was ever sold here. Would be quite something to recall US seats and not CDN ones...

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Oh come ON Evenflo, nobody's going to do that. How totally inadequate. :mad: I think it would be easier to use the seat baseless, but nobody's going to do that, either. :thumbsdown:

DH and I are not planning any more kids, but if we did there no way on earth that we'd use any Evenflo infant seat (not even the non-expired, non-recalled one we already own).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC