Old style ff'ing lock-off on a MA

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I recall reading ages ago that sometimes the old style ff'ing lock-offs will wear out with repeated use. The other day I accidentally caught the shoulder portion of the belt when re-installing dd's seat and realized that it slipped a tiny bit in the lock-off.

So is that slight slippage normal and I've just never noticed it before? Or is my lock-off starting to wear out?

I re-installed the seat tonight and decided to switch to LATCH just in case, but am wondering if it's worth a call to Britax & if they can even do anything... my seat is out of warranty & they don't make the old style lock-offs anymore.

Can anyone give more info on this?

And while I'm at it, the RA's that had the little clamp type lock-off where you pushed the lockoff on the side and held it there while you slid the belt in, then let go - were those real lock-offs, or just belt guides? A mom I saw last week had a RA with lock-offs like that, and it didn't seem to be working. So we just locked the seatbelt instead, but I'm wondering if there's something different about those or if her's was just not working.

ADS

hipmaman

I had an RA with the 'old' clip-style lock-off and they worked. Are you talking about this kind of lock off?

Click on image to enlarge

This was my very first installation of my very first RA :) So go easy since what did I know about carseat in 2000? ;):):p:cool::rolleyes:

snowbird25ca

I had an RA with the 'old' clip-style lock-off and they worked. Are you talking about this kind of lock off?

Click on image to enlarge

This was my very first installation of my very first RA :) So go easy since what did I know about carseat in 2000? ;):):p:cool::rolleyes:

Yep, that's what this mom's lock-offs looked like. Except hers was a post 2002 seat. ;) Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Mine are the clip kind - flip open at the bottom, slide the belt in, then flip it over & shut - what they all came with until the most recent change.

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking that the lock-off is definitely working properly still, but might be showing signs of wear... considering how much tension is on the seatbelt and how the seats compress in my truck, it's no wonder at it. But it must be working still or else my seat would be loosening and that hasn't happened.

Now that it's in with LATCH I'll probably just leave it there for the time being. It has no reason to come out until May now unless the Nautilus magically shows up before then and I replace it. :cool:

brooklynsmommy

I LOVED those lock offs and wish they still made them like that. There would be no wearing out like these new ones do. I've already gone though two sets of lock offs in the past 6 months....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC