Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Custom Made Car Seat Covers!

Hiya Ladies! I want to first say that I know this is a BIG NO NO, but I am not sure I understand why. I mean I know that it voids the warranty, but other than that why are they bad? If it is not any thicker than the cover that is on the seat than why are they ao awful? I mean I would never buy one for the fact that I wouldn't pay what other people want for them, but honestly why are they so bad. Also why are the strap covers you buy in the stores to put on the straps so bad as well. I am sorry, but I am not really sure why all these things are so bad? I see all sorts of things made for a car seat like, a head support for an infant, strap covers, even Wal-Mart sells a car seat replacement cover. I mean why would they make & sell them if they were so unsafe? I am just confused as to what is wrong with them besides they void your warranty. Anyone?? Sorry if I sound so dumb, I just don't understand!
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: Custom Made Car Seat Covers!

I've gotta run and finish Easter preparations for the kids, but there was a previous thread about aftermarket/custom covers that covers (ooh, bad pun) the subject pretty well at: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=16487

The aftermarket products are available basically because they're money makers for those that produce and market them. Other informative links addressing the why-nots of aftermarket items, and seat manufacturers statements against using anything other than what came with or was specifically designed and tested for the particular carseat model, are at: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/aftermarket.aspx and http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/AftMarketMan.aspx
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Re: Custom Made Car Seat Covers!

They are bad because they have not been tested with the carseat so there is no way to tell how they will perform or affect the performance of the carseat in a collision. Also covers that come with the seat are generally flame-resistant.

Whatever comes with the seat is what is allowed and tested with the seat and is considered safe.