New Britax Lock-Offs, can we talk about them?

lovinwaves

I can't find any threads dedicated to talking about the newer FF'ing Britax Lock-Offs. I used the newer lock off design for the first time in my van yesterday. The carseat was installed a little less than 24 hours, and the way my seatbelt looked afterwards has me concerned. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The ones where you push the lockoff and a piece slides over the seatbelt locking it only in one small spot? Yeah, it damaged my seatbelt in my van. Britax said I was using it wrong and took no responsibility.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Oh those aren't new those lock off's have been around now for about 2yrs. I thought they had redesigned them yet again. I so far haven't had any issues with those lock off's. I still prefer the old style ff'ing lock's that we have on our MA's.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I guess the trick is to NOT tighten your seatbelt much before clamping them...you know, pretend you're an average parent? :rolleyes:

I tried to tell them our concerns at lifesavers and they just brushed me off... saying 'a dent is not a run, so what's the big whoop?'... I guess since they keep using them, they must not have actually damaged any seatbelts beyond the denting? Surely they'd have gotten enough complaints by now if it were? (well, maybe not, they do refuse to lower their bottom slots of their convertibles, and people gripe about that all the time... :eek:)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've seen Gypsy's seatbelt, and it's been months since the seat was installed there. She's right, it's pretty bad. I wouldn't use it again, either. It's not like when you remove the little plastic "button," yk how that eventually closes up? Hers is still quite visible where the lock-off was positioned.

megabloxs

Isn't the belt meant to sit above the small black piece that clips down? So that the belt is kinda bunched up in the small slot?
That is what it looks like in the instuction manual. I have the long style lock offs and prefer them.

crunchierthanthou

Isn't the belt meant to sit above the small black piece that clips down? So that the belt is kinda bunched up in the small slot?
That is what it looks like in the instuction manual. I have the long style lock offs and prefer them.

no. how would that accomplish locking it? The belt could still slide through and loosen. It's supposed to be pinched between the shell and the nub (for lack of a better word).

0301081011.jpg

(not a great picture, either :eek: )

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I've seen Gypsy's seatbelt, and it's been months since the seat was installed there. She's right, it's pretty bad. I wouldn't use it again, either. It's not like when you remove the little plastic "button," yk how that eventually closes up? Hers is still quite visible where the lock-off was positioned.

Yeah, 15 months.

megabloxs

My seat has the old lock-offs but it looks like on page 18/19 of the Decathlon instuction booklet that it gets pushed up heaps. It does not say that the belt needs to be clipped in. I know if I played with the new style lock it would be different I guess.

Sounds like Britax is making a few bad moves lately.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC