10 safest states for kids

ADS

Morganthe

I received my copy of Parents yesterday. Good month for information. :D

It is a very interesting and well researched article to determine where and what constitutes safe for children. I appreciated the flow chart that listed all states and marked if they had booster seat law and/or Bike Helmet law. TX is nada on both.

They also had an article on the "10 Baby Safety products you should never buy". Unfortunately, the Mighty Tite wasn't listed. :thumbsdown: But they did list "Seat -Belt positioners" and Baby Rearview mirrors that are attached by a suction cup or some other flimsy hookup. :thumbsup:

The irony is that page 108 had a "Primp My Ride" photo with a cute little girl who was in a 5pt. (I think that's an improvement since most photos would have had her in a booster or just seatbelt). The point was to clean up stuff and trash in your vehicle.
I wasn't too crazy about the under pad for her carseat that had netting to keep stuff in.
"To keep crumbs out of crevices, place a plastic protector underneath the car seat. It's easy to wipe clean and it'll save your upholstery too." $15 from case logic :rolleyes:

But on the Safest States survey, this is how they did it:
October 2007-Jan 2008, Parents analyzed state-level data on more than 30 criteria that impact a child safety. Data was supplied by leading organizations includding AAAP, CDC, FBI, & Safe Kids Worldwide. For a complete list of criteria and data sources, check out parentsmag.com

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I can't believe Texas was #38 I thought for sure it would have been #50. Well atleast we are better then 12 other states.

katiesmommy

Wow, California's #5, I would have never guessed. And Washington is 22, which seems really off to me, seems like it should have been the other way around.

HEVY

# 3 here. But look at what we still have a problem with. :mad:

Still hazardous: Improperly installed car seats. New Jersey has just 18 car-seat check sites for its more than 6 million residents, the second-worst rate in the country. Since many parents, especially first-timers, botch car-seat installation, getting your seat checked is a smart idea, says Karen Aldana, a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration spokesperson.

mommy2env

WooHoo! California is numero cinco!

I wish they made it illegal to use aftermarket harness covers and head supports.

Hey, I can dream....:rolleyes:

houseofboys

YES! Here in WA we have a proper use state and both would definitely be illegal. :love:
Hmm... So a 2 year-old in a booster rated for 3/30 would be illegal here? I have a friend who won't harness her son just because it's safer, but maybe she would if she found out it's illegal to have him in the booster? :whistle:

Mommy2Marcus

I am #31 on the list...Boo!! My home state of Alabama is #34 on the list! I wish laws were better than they were. I also wish that they were better at enforcing the law than they are in any state. I see kids to young to be in FF seats & boosters all the time, but no one does anything about it. It burns me to see seats not used properly when it is SO easy to snap a child into the proper seat. I mean really how much harder is it to put your child in a 5 point harness than it is to put them in a booster & buckle them in? I think it is NOT any harder. Sorry...got a little long winded about it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC