What's the big deal with LATCHable boosters?

BabyKaykes

There's been a lot of talk lately about LATCHable boosters and the Monterey, Nautilus, Frontier seats. What's the big deal?

Seatbelts were made for your average sized man, right? Who weighs what, 180-200lb? So what's the big deal with a 60-70lb kid in a 25lb seat? If the seat was tested as a booster and passed, what's the problem with it not LATCHing in booster mode? As long as the seatbelt doesn't fail, all should work as planned, correct?

I personally have every intention of using the Nautilus as a booster when the time comes for me to even own one. And I guess I just don't see why a 5-10lb booster would be any better.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Hi there!

There are a couple of things we think are benefits to LATCHable boosters:

- Child does not have the weight of the booster pushing them against the seat belt. Some boosters (the Nautilus, the Monterrey I think, and the upcoming Frontier) are fairly heavy.
- You don't have to remember to buckle it when unoccupied so that it doesn't become a projectile in a crash.
- Some boosters can be tippy or wiggle, making it harder for a kid to buckle up.

I'm sure others will chime in with whatever I missed. :D

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The concern is the weight of the booster against the child - that the added weight of the booster is basically "squishing" the child between the booster and the seat belt. There is no evidence that this is harmful or even that the booster adds any force to the child in a wreck, as far as I've heard. It's just a theoretical concern at this point.

The other consideration is that unused boosters are usually left unsecured. They become very dangerous projectiles in a crash. A LATCHed booster doesn't need to be buckled when empty to prevent it from becoming a projectile.

I drive without my kids every night when I go to work. It's a bit of a pain to buckle the boosters; I'd happily pay a bit more for one that would LATCH in so I didn't have to bother with it, or worry about when I forget to buckle them.

crunchierthanthou

My opinion on this is kind of like buying a seat with a rf tether. I'm a fan. Yes, it might be more expensive, but I feel the benefits are worth it. this is all just my personal theory based on what I've picked up about crash dynamics-

the FMVSS limits boosters to 9 lbs. I'm not sure if that's changed, or if combo seats are exempt or manufacturers are just fudging that. LATCH in booster mode with larger seats is important to me because in order for the seatbelt to fit properly, the child has to be lifted off the seat. This moves them farther from the center of gravity and increases potential for head excursion (yes, even with a properly fitting seatbelt. have you seen the 5pt vs booster crash tests?). I don't want a 20+ lb seat pushing them even farther forward. It might be fine, but I'm not comfortable with it. Maybe as we see more data about them I'll change my stance.

Dave at SSK said that not using the lower anchors doesn't affect frontal impact performance. However, he did mention that it improved side impact performance, and we know that side impact crashes are the more dangerous ones.

Morganthe

The concern is the weight of the booster against the child - that the added weight of the booster is basically "squishing" the child between the booster and the seat belt. There is no evidence that this is harmful or even that the booster adds any force to the child in a wreck, as far as I've heard. It's just a theoretical concern at this point.
:yeahthat:
In a 25MPH crash, a 25 pound booster weighs 625 pounds.
Exactly my worry.
I'm concerned about the top area of these larger boosters making head excursions actually worse than the typical lightweight 11-12lb booster such as the Parkway. I know you can't use the Lower Anchors for the Booster section of the Nautilus, but do they authorize use of the Top Tether?:confused:

The Recaro Start is only a little more heavier the Nautilus and it is required in the US to use the Top Tether. So yep, I can't help but wonder. :shrug-shoulders:

BabyKaykes

In a 25MPH crash, a 25 pound booster weighs 625 pounds.

Understood, but in that SAME crash, a 60lb child weighs 1500lbs - MUCH more than the booster. So the child and the booster together are putting 2125lb of force on the seat belt - Still less than a 180lb man...

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Understood, but in that SAME crash, a 60lb child weighs 1500lbs - MUCH more than the booster. So the child and the booster together are putting 2125lb of force on the seat belt - Still less than a 180lb man...

Again, the weight of the booster causing the seat belt to fail is NOT the concern. It's the weight of the booster being applied to the CHILD that is the concern.

We all know the seat belt will more than hold the combined weight of even the heaviest booster and booster-age child. What we don't know is whether having that 625lbs of force slamming the child against the seat belt is an injury risk.

crunchierthanthou

yes, but the weight of a 180 lb man is just that- the weight of his body. yes, the seatbelt is going to hold. That's not Gyspy's point. It's that there is extra external force acting on the child. The child is going to move forward in the crash. so is the booster. the seatbelt stops the child... what stops the booster? Like I said, it might be fine. These heavy boosters are relatively new and until we have more data, I'd prefer to see them anchored to the vehicle in some way. :twocents:

BabyKaykes

We all know the seat belt will more than hold the combined weight of even the heaviest booster and booster-age child. What we don't know is whether having that 625lbs of force slamming the child against the seat belt is an injury risk.

Got it now. I guess I'm just not all that worried about it. Same as the RF tether...

But thanks!

keri1292

My personal issue is that my dd only weighs 43lbs at 7.5yo. I don't feel too comfortable with a 25lb booster pushing her tiny body into the seat belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC