Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: airplane travel

Carseat Crazy

airplane travel

I know I am supposed to but I wasn't able to buy my DS her own airline ticket so she'll have to ride on my lap. Should I check her seat with the bags or do you think there is any way I can carry it on the plane and put it overhead? A Scenera. We normally have an extra seat by us. Someone normally asks the flight attendant if they can move to an extra seat if the plane isn't full. I don't mind that. I was thinking maybe since there will probably be an extra seat, they will let me install her car seat for free. Anyone have experience with this? Also, for the future. Do you know of any airlines that offer child fares for domestic flights? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: airplane travel

If there's an empty seat you shouldn't have a problem putting her seat on. Do NOT check it unless the plane is full. And then only do it at the gate. The final number of people isn't decided until every one is checked in. So while the ticketing agent may say it's a full flight, the gate agent will know if people aren't coming. So hold onto your seat and ask to put it in an empty seat.

I don't know who does and doesn't give discounts, but it's worth the price of a full ticket to get a seat.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

When we travel (which is quite frequently) we never buy a ticket for our 10mo. old and until recently my now 2y/o And since we can travel anytime, we had our travel agent put us on a flight that would be less likley to be filled. I have 2 Sceneras that we travel with and they work great.

Last time I traveled with my daughter I took her seat with me to the gate and got lucky on the flight out with an extra seat...on the flight back home it was a full flight so she had to ride in my lap. Regardless you should check you seat at the gate. That way it's one of the last things on and 1st to come off which means less damage and it will be waiting for you when you get off the plane.

Carseat Crazy

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully we will get lucky with an extra seat