Britax lockoff question

cpsaddict

Just to clarify, locking clips are a no no with Britax convertibles, right? And Britax doesn't recommend using towels or noodles with their seats? I told this to someone on another board and I want to make sure I wasn't making things up.:whistle:

ADS

crunchierthanthou

no, no locking clips. you either use the built in lockoffs or the lock the seatbelt itself.

The most recent versions of the manuals (starting last summer) do recommend using a pool noodle or rolled towel. The recline mechanisms were breaking due to overtightening the tether to adjust the rf recline.

waterbaby

Okay, so... (Hi Jacky... I'm the the other tech from the the other board you're referring to). I've really been thrown off by this whole locking clip thing.

We have a Marathon in DH's car. It's impossible to use the lock-offs (RF, at least) because of the angle of the stalk and the pressure from the belts. They won't close, period. Even if the belt is switched/locked, with the weight of my DD in the seat, on a turn, the retractor will take in anything it can get... and the seat tips. No matter what.
So, at my class, I had THREE of my instructors out at my car, because I, too, was under the impression that Britax said no on locking clips, and hence, have lock-offs. They wanted to oggle at the Regent, too. But they all recommended putting a locking clip on and checked the install after I did put one on. These instructors are very experienced and knowledgeable, and I don't want to believe they would lead me in the wrong direction. Regardless, the install is much better now with the clip on.

Looks like I use a locking clip or have a tippy seat? Is this just one the tough decisions, lol?

crunchierthanthou

have you tried the lock-off that's farther from the buckle? open both lock-offs, buckle the seatbelt, get the lap portion as tight as you can and make sure the shoulder belt is taut. position the belt portions so they're not right on top of each other- like an upside down v, though they'll still overlap a bit |//\\|. Spreading them over the width of the lock-off will help it to close. Also, do your lock-offs open toward the front or the back of the seat? Britax has changed them so they open toward the rear and will send you a new set if yours open toward the front. They don't pop open or break as easily now.

waterbaby

No, I haven't tried the lock-offs on the retractror side - though honestly, I don't know that it would really be all that different. But I will try it! Only thing is... is that allowed? I ask that because a locking clip can not be used on the retractor side.
And I'm not positive which way the lock-offs open, but I'm thinking they open toward the front of the seat. That Marathon is our '04 Marathon, I believe. If the lock-offs are different on either of the other two Marathons, I could swap them and see if the change helps... or just call Britax?
Thanks for your help Crunchie! I should just call Britax and kill two birds with one stone.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The new manuals recognize that the buckle can interfere with the lockoff, so they recommend using the lockoff on the retractor side. Since it's not the same as a locking clip, it's actually ok to use 'either, neither, or both' lockoffs, depending on your situation :thumbsup: (the new seats do have them oriented the other way, and they do close better). Locking clips are a no-no except on the Regent or Baseless companion when installed with an ELR belt.
Towels have been in the manuals for years now, noodles were tacitly ok, they just didn't want to mention a product that the parent would have to go out and buy. :thumbsup:

And there's a simple trick experienced techs learn..pull the base a little away from the bight so you can get the belts lined up best in the lockoff, and get the belts to NOT overlap completely...if they are spread out a little, the lockoff will be way more likely to stay closed.

Your instructors really said a locking clip was ok?

crunchierthanthou

lock-offs aren't quite the same as locking clips. technically, you can use both, either or neither (if your seatbelt locks on its own). Britax actually recommends using the far one because the buckle can interfere with the near one (as you're experiencing).

page 14 of the MA manual goes through using the rf lock-off. and I guess you don't have to open both after all- just the far one.

1 Fully recline the child seat then place it rear-facing
on the vehicle seat.
• See Recline Adjustment on page 30.
2 Lift the cover to open the rear-facing lock-off
farthest from where the vehicle belt will be buckled
(Fig. B).
3 Pull the vehicle belt out then pass it through the
farthest rear-facing belt slot from where the vehicle
belt will be buckled (Fig. C).
• The vehicle belt can be routed over or under cover.
4 Route the vehicle belt across seat then through the
second rear-facing belt slot.
IMPORTANT: The vehicle belt must rest behind the child
seat buckle.
5 Verify that the vehicle belt is not twisted, then
buckle (Fig. D).
6 Push the child seat firmly into the vehicle seat while
removing slack first from the lap portion of the
vehicle belt, then the shoulder portion (Fig. E).
7 Position both sections of the vehicle belt through
the open lock-off, tighten belt, close the lock-off
arm (Fig. F) and replace the cover.

• The lock-off is properly closed when a click is heard.
• To prevent breakage, never extend the lock-off arm beyond
its normal open position and always keep the lock-off closed
when it is not in use.
• If your vehicle is equipped with an automatic locking retractor
(ALR), use of lock-offs is not required as long as the ALR is
locked. Check your vehicle owner’s manual to determine the
type of retractor your vehicle has, and how to lock the retractor.

edit: phew, Jools said the same thing. :)

crunchierthanthou

and as long as I still have the manual open- the pool noodle recommendation is on the same page (bold is mine):

When properly installed in the rear-facing position, the back
angle of the child seat should be 30º – 45º from vertical (not to
exceed 45º) when the car is parked on a level surface (Fig. G).
• If necessary, the proper recline angle can be achieved by
placing a rolled towel or pool noodle in the crease of the
vehicle seat to level the child seat’s base.

see how much you can get from reading the manual. ;)

waterbaby

see how much you can get from reading the manual. ;)

Oh... ouch! :D Lesson learned.

I'm feeling more encouraged knowing I have more options to try out. This is good practice. But ah, to have LATCH in Daddy's car. Sigh.

And yes, I got the okay from THREE instructors on the clip, believe it or not. One of them was with me as I put the clip on, for heaven's sake. Which is why I was so thrown when I read that locking clips are not okay with Britax seats. It's on there as we "speak" and has been since I took my class - eek. Would it be horrible to email the main instructor and mention this scenario?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd call them and say that you had to call Britax for a different reason and it came up in conversation and it turns out that it was against the manual, which you hadn't realized. So you thought they should know that they accidentally/unknowingly went directly against the manual.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC