What should I do - new car / regent vs frontier

Milkie&Cookie

I thought I was all set till I saw the pictures of the Frontier! I LOVE the red & black. DS's head is at the top of his Marathon that he uses in DH's car. DH is picking up his new Saturn Aura today. I bought a Regent on the sale in February thinking it would go in DH's car. I haven't opened it yet because its been so cold here, I didn't want to be outside messing with carseats.

So, now I see the Frontier. Its smaller. Its got the beautiful red. Its got cupholders. It can go on an airplane. Its got a place for him to rest his head (he hates that he doesn't have anywhere to rest his head in regent in my car).

Cons - its more expensive than the $209 I paid for the regent. No one has actually used it or seen it.

What should I do? Put the Marathon back in the new car and wait to order a Frontier? Keep the Regent and just pretend I didn't see the Frontier?

Complicating factors: We do occasionally fly, but I don't know if we will anytime soon. My mom lives in AL and its a long drive, but we don't really have the $$ to fly now that we have the baby and DS's tuition. However, she could always surprise us with tix - then I wouldn't have a car seat for him there. If I had the Frontier, I could take it with. DS has an abnormally large head. He outgrew his Wizard because his head was too big. I wonder if the Frontier's wings are going to be a problem? He fits fine in DD's Blvd. Also - he's in DH's car once a week tops.

So - what would you all do?

Last edited:
ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If the child has outgrown the Marathon, I'd open the Regent (or buy something else). No one knows when the Frontier will actually be shipping, and a child should not be riding in an outgrown seat waiting for a new seat to hit the shelves.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
If the child has outgrown the Marathon, I'd open the Regent (or buy something else). No one knows when the Frontier will actually be shipping, and a child should not be riding in an outgrown seat waiting for a new seat to hit the shelves.

I don't think she said that he had outgrown it, just that his head is at the top, right? That's fine for a FF child. :)

If you have the option, I'd wait for the Frontier to at least compare the two...? OTOH, you already have the Regent and got it on sale at good price. Can you go to a local store and try a Regent in your DH's car to see how it installs?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't think she said that he had outgrown it, just that his head is at the top, right? That's fine for a FF child. :)

If you have the option, I'd wait for the Frontier to at least compare the two...? OTOH, you already have the Regent and got it on sale at good price. Can you go to a local store and try a Regent in your DH's car to see how it installs?

Well, that's why I wrote *if*. If the child has outgrown the seat, he can't wait for the new seat. If there's still time left, check the Regent's return policy and hang on.

Milkie&Cookie

Yeah - he's technically not outgrown it. The top of his head is at the top of the shell. Britax says that the tip of the ear needs to be at the top of the shell. It just makes me nervous. I have a regent in my car that I would give to DH anyway because I want that red frontier in my car. LOL He can have the fugly Sahara Regent. :D

I ordered the Regent from Target. Does anyone know how long I have to return it there?

crunchierthanthou

We don't know for sure that it's FAA approved, we're still just hoping. I'm somewhat skeptical that it will be, given that the tether is required in harnessed mode (and totally bummed if that's the case).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC