seat belt not long enough for regent long path install??

kalika44

Anyone else have or heard of this problem?? A tech and I tried to install a Regent with the long belt path in the 3rd row of a Town n Country and the belt isnt long enough. We tried moving the seat as close as we could to the outward position but it only gave us another inch or two. Its still about 2 inches too short.

ADS

Airforcemomma

I had that problem when installing a regent into a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. There was no way it would go LBP with the vehicle belt.

I went to the dealership, told them what the problem was and they handed me 2 brand new seat belt extensions free of charge.

I believe most dealerships provide them free of charge. You should call your dealership and see if they will give you one.

I no longer use the extenders because I have a new vehicle and the belts are long enough.

If you are unable to get one from your dealership I would be happy to send my extension free of charge. You'd just have to cover the postage.

MomToEliEm

I know with my regent, I have to use every inch of the seatbelt to get it installed with the long belt path. I fully extend the seatbelt and put a clip up at the top of the seatbelt to prevent it from ratcheting back in. I then install it and buckle the seatbelt. Only after I buckle the seatbelt do I take off the clip at the top of the seatbelt.

Do you have the recline bar inserted as far as it can go? Sometimes using a rubber mallet on it will get it inserted a little more giving you just a tiny bit of seatbelt space since the seat isn't as reclined. It might be enough to get the seat installed.

I hadn't heard about using seatbelt extenders with carseats before (except on airplanes). Does Britax authorize this as an appropriate installation method?

singingpond

Interesting about the dealership handing out the extenders. When I was reading about seatbelt extenders a few months ago, most of the vehicle manufacturers seemed dead-set against using them for carseat installation (fear of liability issues). They would only knowingly provide them to adults whose girth was too large (to put it politely) to fit in the standard seatbelt. As I recall, some companies (e.g. Toyota) even had the policy that the individual in question had to appear in person at a dealership to be 'fitted' with the extender. In other words, you can't just claim to have a passenger in your vehicle who is too large for the seatbelt; that person actually has to make a personal appearance to prove that they have the problem and need an extender.

I don't know anything about whether extenders are actually safe to use in carseat installation -- I guess it would depend on where that extra buckle ends up....

Katrin

heathernick06

I had the same problem a few months ago and I came to this board for help. I asked about extenders and the techs said they were not ok to use. I finally got the regent to work with the long belt path install by putting the seat belt under the cover of the regent. Of course, I was using a lap belt only in the center so I'm not sure if it would work with a shoulder/lap belt.

Airforcemomma

Interesting about the dealership handing out the extenders. When I was reading about seatbelt extenders a few months ago, most of the vehicle manufacturers seemed dead-set against using them for carseat installation (fear of liability issues). They would only knowingly provide them to adults whose girth was too large (to put it politely) to fit in the standard seatbelt. As I recall, some companies (e.g. Toyota) even had the policy that the individual in question had to appear in person at a dealership to be 'fitted' with the extender. In other words, you can't just claim to have a passenger in your vehicle who is too large for the seatbelt; that person actually has to make a personal appearance to prove that they have the problem and need an extender.

I don't know anything about whether extenders are actually safe to use in carseat installation -- I guess it would depend on where that extra buckle ends up....

Katrin
When the parts manager gave me the extension he helped me install the seat in the parking lot . When it was installed the buckle portion of the extender was behind the middle portion of the shell. Only the actual belt portion of the extender had actual contact with the plastic shell.

I really don't know if they are allowed to be used for child seat installations. I don't even have the seat anymore(it was a husky) but I do believe reading in the manual that some vehicle belts would not be long enough and that a belt extension may be necessary. I didn't even know there was such a thing as vehicle belt extenders until the issue with the husky.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC