RANT:These LAWS are a JOKE!

Mommy2Marcus

:thumbsdown: :mad: :(
Hiya Ladies! So I was looking for the Laws in Alabama for a friend of mine that said the law had been changed to stating that a child 12 or younger MUST be in a booster, but I did not find that anywhere. I found this instead & am quite shocked & upset that the laws are SO minimal. DO they NOT understand that they need to raise these, that it will SAVE LIVES? I am just shocked. I knew they were low as I friends that have kids in boosters that should NOT be, but nothing I say makes a difference! Thanks for listening to my rant. At least I know you all care!

ADS

MomToEliEm

I still think Alabama still has better laws then Texas though.

In the Alabama law, it states 4-5 year olds need to be in a child passenger restraint, but then include the statement:

"child passenger restraint system meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards" shall be deemed to include seat belts installed by the motor vehicle manufacturer, dealer or owner"

Does this mean that a seatbelt can be used instead of an actual booster or is it worked where a seatbelt used in conjunction with a booster can be used for that age group?

In Texas, any child over 36" can ride in a regular seatbelt, not even a booster, (most 2-3 year olds are 36"). If they aren't over 36" when they turn age 5 though, those very short kids can ride in a regular seatbelt. It is a very sad law.

----------------

Here is the Alabama law as it is written:

http://alisdb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/32-5-222.htm

Section 32-5-222
Child passenger restraints; required for children under six; penalty.
(a) Every person transporting a child under the age of six years in a motor vehicle registered in this state and operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall provide for the protection of the child by properly using a child passenger restraint system meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards. Provided that, with respect to a child who is either four or five years of age, the term "child passenger restraint system meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards" shall be deemed to include seat belts installed by the motor vehicle manufacturer, dealer or owner. Provided that in no event shall failure to wear a child passenger restraint system be considered as contributory negligence. Provided that the term "motor vehicle" as used in this section shall not apply to trucks or buses having tonnage rating of one ton or more.
(b) No provision of this section shall be construed as creating any duty, standard of care, right, or liability between parent and child that is not recognized under the laws of the State of Alabama as they presently exist, or may, at any time in the future, be constituted by statute or decision.
(c) Any person violating the provisions of this section may be fined not more than $10.00 for each offense.
(d) The provisions of this section notwithstanding, nothing contained herein shall be deemed a violation of any law which would otherwise nullify or change in any way the provisions or coverage of any insurance contract.
(Acts 1982, No. 82-421, p. 663; Acts 1989, No. 89-781, p.1562, §1.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, 6 is a joke. But in the US? It's actually not too bad.. Hello? If you're going to make a law, make one that makes even a little bit of sense? please? (wouldn't it be great if every state just had the five step test? no need for ages or weights, the cop could look in, see if the seatbelt fits... it's not rocket science :p )

Yup, vent away, that's what we're here for :)

melniemi

My current law is that kids can ride in a seatbelt when they turn 4! And you can take a baby out of her carseat to nurse while someone else is driving. And if all seatbelts are occupied, kids don't need to be buckled.
I think I have that right anyway:eek: Thankfully, it is finally being changed and should come into effect this summer.

Did the MN law ever pass? Wasn't it supposed to last summer? I don't remember hearing either way.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
My current law is that kids can ride in a seatbelt when they turn 4! And you can take a baby out of her carseat to nurse while someone else is driving. And if all seatbelts are occupied, kids don't need to be buckled.
I think I have that right anyway:eek: Thankfully, it is finally being changed and should come into effect this summer.

Did the MN law ever pass? Wasn't it supposed to last summer? I don't remember hearing either way.

Ours is 5 yo. AZ has not passed it (9 yo 4'9" proposed) for 3 yrs now.

jwren

what state is this? (did you say MN?) I have a friend (from FL) that used to take her newborn out to nurse and I told her she should NOT ever do that, she thought I was overboard I guess. She is not so carseat cautious....:(

kirsty

in the uk are laws are 12 years or over 4.5, but the kids i look after will be 4.9 before i take them out of there booster seats.

the law before used to be, under 3 years car seat should be used and over 3 years use if you`ve got one.

libranbutterfly

Ours is any child under 40" has to be in a child restraint. I'm going to make an "ad" this summer with my DD about how she can't ride roller coasters that are made for adults, but she can use an adult seatbelt. :)

vonfirmath

:thumbsdown: :mad: :(
Hiya Ladies! So I was looking for the Laws in Alabama for a friend of mine that said the law had been changed to stating that a child 12 or younger MUST be in a booster, but I did not find that anywhere. I found this instead & am quite shocked & upset that the laws are SO minimal. DO they NOT understand that they need to raise these, that it will SAVE LIVES? I am just shocked. I knew they were low as I friends that have kids in boosters that should NOT be, but nothing I say makes a difference! Thanks for listening to my rant. At least I know you all care!

Having a law doesn't mean they are obeyed.
1. There are not seats out there that will hold every 12 year in a booster.
2. Our law for infants being rear-facing is 1yr or 20 pounds, whichever is LATER. But we still have babies being turned at 9 months, etc. (and why is this done? because existing laws on the books are not being enforced.)

It seems somewhat foolish to expect laws to solve all the problems when the laws on the books are not being followed. Before pushing a law, think of it: Are you willing to put people in jail who do not follow the same practices with car seats that you have chosen for your own family?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC