This really can't be safe, right?

krystin_21a

OK. I already know the answer to my question. The answer is No, but I wanted to share the misuse that I saw today. I was going to the NEX on base and saw a man getting his probably 3 year old into the car. I thought he was using a backless booster but come to find out he strapped the kid into an infant base! There was no seat in the base, just the kid, forward facing. It was the oddest thing I have ever seen. He put the seatbelt over him like it was no big deal. :thumbsdown:

ADS

MomToEliEm

Unfortunately, I have seen that happen 3 times in the past few years. It really is scary what people think they can do with infant seats.

fyrfightermomma

The things people will do when theyhave no booster lol. I'll never forget when I was 17 and basically a foster mom to 2 little kids. It was my boyfriends at the time niece and nephew. Mom was a druggy, always in the emergency room trying to get pain medication, always drunk. At 17 I had those kids every night and every weekend. Anyways once she called me at 11pm on a weekend to come pick up the kids because she had such a bad headache she had to go to the ER (which she did atleast 3 times a week). I was always very stringent with their seats even at that age and always bought them new seats, installed correctly etc. This was before HWH seats were popular so the oldest who was 4 and about 35 pounds but too tall for a harnessed seat rode in a HBB in my car.

When she called I was with my boyfriend(and didnt have my car and thus their seats) and she said she needed them picked up NOW. I knew enough back then that the older boy had to have a booster seat so I improvised and used a phonebook :eek: Looking back though it did raise him up enough so that the belt did sit correctly and at the time I saw no problem with it lol.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Gee...and people complain about tight crotch straps being uncomfortable? (Ok, tongue in cheek...but can you imagine what this poor kid is putting up with? Seems like child abuse somehow... :( )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC