ARGH! Magical Harness Slots!!!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yesterday Gypsy and I installed her GN in the 3rd row of my Mazda 5 for Macha. This is just for my convenience - if you want the background I'll post it at the bottom because it's convoluted and not the point.

Before we installed it (it's a two-person job in the 3rd row because of the wonky seatbelts), we put it in the 2nd row and had her sit in it to check which slots she needed to use. She was very clearly OVER the 2nd-to-top slots, so we moved them up to the top slots; installed the GN in the 3rd row, good to go.

Today when she was buckling herself she complained that the harness was too tight. I helped her buckle, and it did seem very tight, so I checked it and it was actually fine - not too tight at all. Then I noticed that I could very clearly see the 2nd-to-top slots above her shoulders.

NO FREAKING WAY!! So I grabbed a nice straight stick off the ground and shoved in the 2nd-to-top slot. Her shoulder was about 1/2" below it.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!

I know it's not a safety issue - the harness isn't up over her ears or anything, but it is making the harness hard to buckle and feel too tight. So we're going to change it tonight and re-install the seat. I suppose I should have known better, because all the carseats I put in the 3rd row end up more reclined, but really - this was well over an inch of difference! It's close to how the Husky fits her now!
:jaw: :dizzy:

(Okay, background, for the really curious): I had Thomas and Sam in the 3rd row because they can use the 86Ys. Macha's Husky fits back there, but it's out of commission while I embroider girly designs on the cover. So Macha had to use the Radian, which is incompatible in the 3rd row. Sam still needs a booster, and since the 86Y requires a locking clip when used with a lap/shoulder belt, he was unable to buckle himself, and half the time Thomas couldn't even manage it for him, so I was having to crawl back there to buckle him. So, I temporarily traded Gypsy the Radian for the GN so that I can have Macha and Thomas in the 3rd row, and both of them can buckle themselves. Whew.)

ADS

mcomommy

I have that problem with my Marathons in my Mazda 5 too. M is using the second to the top slot in the second row but when she needed to be in the back she was on the top slot. I don't like how the back seat is reclined at all, I wish it was as upright as the second row is :thumbsdown: She complains when she sits in the back because she has to lean her head forward to be upright like she likes. The seat was/is tech approved in both positions too.

Defrost

OH! I have good news - you can get it upright! (Super upright.) Hang on, I have a pic (yeah, I know - no kidding I have a pic! LOL!)

Ooo, look, I have three! I forgot I took all these. :D
IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

Check out the base in the first pic - see how deep the front of the base is compressing the seat? And the last pic is to show how the headrest squeezes between the back of the MA. This is the ONLY carseat I've installed in the 3rd row that didn't need to be installed at an angle with the base 3-4 inches from the bight. I *crammed* it up against the vehicle seat back and into the bight before climbing in to compress it down.

mcomommy

Neat, I will have to try again! I see you left the headrest in too, maybe that will help! Thanks so much :thumbsup::thumbsup:

BabyKaykes

But isn't that a GOOD thing? I totally understand the annoyance with having to change the harness, but it's good that there's MORE room, right?

Kabes

WHALE - I'm so excited! I haven't had one of those in a long time! Do you have a source? None of the fire departments I have contacted have them.

Duh, I see the link now.

Defrost

But isn't that a GOOD thing? I totally understand the annoyance with having to change the harness, but it's good that there's MORE room, right?

Generally yes, but she's not going to be using this seat until she outgrows it - she's got a Husky for that. This is just "in the meantime" while I'm embroidering pretty girly stuff on the Husky cover. :D And it's not the Nauti that's hard to re-install, it's the vehicle seat in the 3rd row. Really, not that big a deal in the big scheme of things, it was just frustrating at the time because we checked so carefully before we installed it and we still got it wrong!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The Mazda 5 has a terrible 3rd row, it has weirdly angled seats and forward of the bite belts.

Debbie Rocks & totally knows what she is doing though :)

Defrost

The Mazda 5 has a terrible 3rd row, it has weirdly angled seats and forward of the bite belts.

Debbie Rocks & totally knows what she is doing though :)

LOL! Thank you, dear. :love: I appreciate the vote of confidence. I might could manage the dang thing alone if I only had four arms. ;)

BabyKaykes

Generally yes, but she's not going to be using this seat until she outgrows it - she's got a Husky for that. This is just "in the meantime" while I'm embroidering pretty girly stuff on the Husky cover. :D And it's not the Nauti that's hard to re-install, it's the vehicle seat in the 3rd row. Really, not that big a deal in the big scheme of things, it was just frustrating at the time because we checked so carefully before we installed it and we still got it wrong!

I just want to thank you for your Mazda 5 review. I almost bought one until I saw that. Then I went down and saw it for myself. I decided on the Pilot instead! :eek:

Defrost

I just want to thank you for your Mazda 5 review. I almost bought one until I saw that. Then I went down and saw it for myself. I decided on the Pilot instead! :eek:

No problem! I love my Mazda 5, but it's really not designed for a family of six. I think it's designed for a family of 4 who occasionally need a couple extra seats for carpooling and such.

With what I know now, I would still buy it, as even with the 3rd-row issues it's still the best fit for our needs. But I do want to make sure others know all the details before making a decision. I'm glad you're happy with your Pilot! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC