WWYD? Transporting 7 yr old cousin.

arly1983

This weekend I will be transporting my 7yr and 12 yr old cousins. I am not worried about the 12 yr old. She is taller than I am and very good about sitting still. The 7yr I am worried about. I know she frequently pushes the shoulder belt behind her because it is high on her neck.

I will be driving them 2.5 hrs interstate one day and then 1.5 hours interstate the next day to my aunts house where i will be dropping them off.

I have the nautilus and could use it as a low back. I am unsure if she would fit the highback because she was close to top slots last spring. I am unsure about weight.

I am also sure I will not be able to leave the house with her in it. My uncle is a contolling butthole who makes comments about how useless and what a waste my carseats (and seatbelts) are. (They have 6 kids and drove to the beach in a GMC extended cab with all 8 of them in there:mad:) She actually likes sitting carseats and boosters so I figure we will stop for gas in the next town and get her situated.

So, without being cussed out, WWYD?

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd just put her in a backless booster and tell the a$$hole that it's your car, your rules, your liability & she will ride as safe as she can be while doing him a favor.

melniemi

She was close to outgrowing what seat last spring? I would see if she fits in the nautilus harness:whistle: I know my 7 yo would!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think it would be a very tall 7-year-old who couldn't use the Nautilus as a high-backed booster. I'd just tell the uncle that you aren't going to accept the liability of transporting a child who isn't properly restrained.

tell him is your car, your life, and you would be the one to have to deal with it everyday if something happened to her in your care. tell him thanks for his opioion but since you have the seat you might as well use it and make her safe. if that doesn't work....put the seat in the car tell them to get it...tell him to shut up and wave goodbye as you all drive away safely.
you have to deal with it on your mind everyday of the rest of your life if soemthing happened to her. i know i couldn't deal with that.

arly1983

I'd just put her in a backless booster and tell the a$$hole that it's your car, your rules, your liability & she will ride as safe as she can be while doing him a favor.

I would do it in a heartbeat except for it is always the kids that are hurt. He wouldn't let them go then.

She was close to outgrowing what seat last spring? I would see if she fits in the nautilus harness:whistle: I know my 7 yo would!

The regent. She spent the night with us and wanted to ride in the big carseat :D She thought it was so cool.

I think she is a carseat freak in the making. When the young kids drew names last christmas, we got hers and she wanted a baby carseat. :love:

melniemi

Awww...she likely won't fit in the harness then, but I would still try. Then I would try the hb nautilus and last resort the lowback. Do you have any parkways stashed away for a rainy day?

arly1983

Awww...she likely won't fit in the harness then, but I would still try. Then I would try the hb nautilus and last resort the lowback. Do you have any parkways stashed away for a rainy day?

I was actually considering ordering one of the $60 PWs on amazon. I have amazon prime so I suppose it would get here Friday.

melniemi

I'm trying really hard not to buy 2 of those cheap parkways:whistle: You know, just in case I need to haul an extra person, I could do pw/rf ma/pw in my 3rd row - hypothetically anyway, I don't know that they'd fit, but I can fit hb tb/keyfit/hb tb so I am guessing it'd fit?? I want to order them just to try:rolleyes: How pathetic is that?

arly1983

I'm trying really hard not to buy 2 of those cheap parkways:whistle: You know, just in case I need to haul an extra person, I could do pw/rf ma/pw in my 3rd row - hypothetically anyway, I don't know that they'd fit, but I can fit hb tb/keyfit/hb tb so I am guessing it'd fit?? I want to order them just to try:rolleyes: How pathetic is that?

Yeah, I am just a sad. I just added to my cart and with Prime I can get one day shipping and it will be here tomorrow for $65.06. The only thing is why in the world would I need one. I suppose if it is a 12.07 DOM. Camille could possilby use it in 3 yrs as a spare. If she keeps on her currant growth pattern, she will defiantly be heavy enough, old enough, and could be mature enough....

arly1983

Can you lock the seatbelt w/the booster?

Sure.

I am beginning to wonder if she would fit the highback Nautilus....I think I read somewhere that the TB (same hight as GN) was outgrown at the same time as the TB. She is pretty tall now but it might be all legs. So I suppose that is a toss up. I think she should fit.

Seriously, I need to do some family portraits so yall can see what a short shrimp I am compared with the others.

It sucks we have such a bad relationship. I could have just called and ask how tall whe was and what she weights.

arly1983

You could call her and ask her - since she likes carseats anyway:whistle:

You missed the controlling part. We shall see what happens this weekend. I might be the first person to have pictures and a reveiw of the GN as a booster. (If I can manage not to order a PW)

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I would do exactly as you have planned. Take the backless, assuming you have headrests to support her head. Or if you think she will fit in the Nautilus hb then take thewhole thing. Drive away. Stop when you are a mile away and put her in the booster.

While driving with her without the booster is not the safest option, I would avoid the fight with her dad. No reason to get into it. I'd take the easy way out and put her in the seat after you leave. I think it's easy for us to tell you to tell him that it's your car, your rules, but you and the child have to live with the reprecussions of it.

Brilliantmama

While driving with her without the booster is not the safest option, I would avoid the fight with her dad. No reason to get into it. I'd take the easy way out and put her in the seat after you leave.

I agree. I think you can even go further and make it a big deal how no one has used the GN as a highback booster yet and she will be the first. You need her expert opinion. If she loved trying out the regent, she will probably eat that up. Maybe when you stop to get it out, buy a special drink/water bottle for the cupholder and a snack for the cubby!

arly1983

I agree. I think you can even go further and make it a big deal how no one has used the GN as a highback booster yet and she will be the first. You need her expert opinion. If she loved trying out the regent, she will probably eat that up. Maybe when you stop to get it out, buy a special drink/water bottle for the cupholder and a snack for the cubby!

Excellant Idea:D Your right, little thing eats up attention.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I agree with riding until you are out of sight, around the corner...whatever. Stop put her in and go. I doubt she'll complain from what you said about her.

I went to the movies and shopping with my dh's neice(8yrs) and MIL. She did ok in the belt, but I wasn't happy about it---so I bought an air booster. She LOVED it and just barely fit with the back fully extended. I was sooo glad I bought it when she was asleep less than 5 mins into the hour ride home. I only wish I had locked the belt since she fell asleep.

Sorry didn't mean to high jack.

Susan

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
tell him is your car, your life, and you would be the one to have to deal with it everyday if something happened to her in your care. tell him thanks for his opioion but since you have the seat you might as well use it and make her safe. if that doesn't work....put the seat in the car tell them to get it...tell him to shut up and wave goodbye as you all drive away safely.
you have to deal with it on your mind everyday of the rest of your life if soemthing happened to her. i know i couldn't deal with that.

I would say exactly this to the mom of that baby you are watching :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC