3-point or 5-point while rear-facing?

SPJ&E

I know a 5-point harness is safest while forward-facing, but what about rear-facing? Does it make a big difference if it's a 3-point or 5-point harness, specifically on an infant seat?

I am asking because we have a Graco Snugride with a 3-point harness...it's about 3 years old. We got it from a friend, who used it for her son for about 6 months. We used it for our son for about 4 months. So it's still in great condition. I am pregnant with baby #2 right now and the Graco Snugride is the seat this baby will use as well. I really don't want to invest the money in a 5-point infant seat that will be used for a very short time, if a 3-point is just as safe rear-facing.

Sorry so long!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They don't seem to think they are necessary in Europe... I think they don't perform as well in side impact crashes, though (not sure where I heard that...?? Kind of makes sense to me). But really, I wouldn't worry... put all your carseat fund toward one awesome convertible, IMO.

:)

U

Unregistered

I had a 3-point and bought a 5-point

A 3-point doesn't provide as much lateral restraint. I noticed when the next to youngest was nearing the limits of his infant seat, he could actually wriggle partially out sideways. A 5-point just provides a better fit.

Here is another reason. If you have a smaller infant seat, an average infant will outgrow those 4 to 6 months.

Get something like a SnugRide 2 or a Baby Trend Latch-Loc that has least a 22 lbs. weight limit and a taller back with a front adjuster. I think most babies would get around 8 months of use. Petite babies much longer. Those infant seats are really nice in the winter when it's cold so you can secure them in the house and tuck the blankets over them after the harness is secure instead of messing with that out in the cold weather. Nothing bulky should be between the straps and the baby/child so it's keep the especially vulnerable ones from getting chilled from the house to the car, car to the store, etc.

I was really hesitant to spend $100 on an infant seat since we had planned on this being the last baby and knowing I was going to buy a Marathon, but I am glad I did!

A well maintained seat that is still safe to use can be passed along to someone you know, and you'll usually get at least 1/2 of your money back out of it.

Happy shopping!

SPJ&E

joolsplus2 said:
They don't seem to think they are necessary in Europe... I think they don't perform as well in side impact crashes, though (not sure where I heard that...?? Kind of makes sense to me). But really, I wouldn't worry... put all your carseat fund toward one awesome convertible, IMO.

:)

We already have an Evenflo Triumph 5 that the baby will use once he/she outgrows the infant seat and then once he/she outgrows that one (the back is quite short), we will be getting another Marathon.

SPJ&E

Unregistered said:
A 3-point doesn't provide as much lateral restraint. I noticed when the next to youngest was nearing the limits of his infant seat, he could actually wriggle partially out sideways. A 5-point just provides a better fit.

Here is another reason. If you have a smaller infant seat, an average infant will outgrow those 4 to 6 months.

Get something like a SnugRide 2 or a Baby Trend Latch-Loc that has least a 22 lbs. weight limit and a taller back with a front adjuster. I think most babies would get around 8 months of use. Petite babies much longer. Those infant seats are really nice in the winter when it's cold so you can secure them in the house and tuck the blankets over them after the harness is secure instead of messing with that out in the cold weather. Nothing bulky should be between the straps and the baby/child so it's keep the especially vulnerable ones from getting chilled from the house to the car, car to the store, etc.

I was really hesitant to spend $100 on an infant seat since we had planned on this being the last baby and knowing I was going to buy a Marathon, but I am glad I did!

A well maintained seat that is still safe to use can be passed along to someone you know, and you'll usually get at least 1/2 of your money back out of it.

Happy shopping!

I am just very reluctant to buy another infant seat when the one we have is in perfect condition. My son was 7 lbs. 5.5 oz. and 20.5 in. long at birth (13 days early) and the harness always fit him very well. He outgrew it by length at 5 months and by weight around 8 months (I switched him to the Triumph at 4 months). I don't want to spend so much money on a new one when I know that the one we have worked perfectly for us last time and, as I said, it's still like new.

I am still undecided though, since I do like the fit of the 5-point better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC