Scatterbunny..

USmominOz

Does your dd ride in the compass w/ the camouflage print? I noticed that we have that here in AU but made by Mother's Choice I just looked at it today but it is $200. It would be cheaper for me to have one mailed over. However ours here has a top tether, but only goes to 57 lbs.

Do you have to use a headrest behind it?
Do you like it better than the Graco Turbo?
She really likes the Daisy, and it is on sale for $85 and shipping to Au is only $70. I would use that for dh's car instead of the Graco HBB.
Does it fit better around the hips?

I have managed to get DD to use her Regent till she hits 50lbs.

Thanks

Last edited:
ADS

scatterbunny

We :love: our B510! :D I wanted dd to get one in the Daisy print, but she and dh vetoed that in favor of Camo. :p

I like it much better than the Turbo. More supportive for dd's legs. Back stays fully padded even on highest settings (unlike the ET-look that the Turbo and many highback boosters develop on the higher settings). Flip-up armrests make for easier buckling. Headwings are deeper. Adjusts to about the same height, but folds. It doesn't become a backless, but a backless is so cheap I don't concern myself with that.

A B510 with a top tether would be AWESOME! :thumbsup: It does not require a headrest behind it (AFAIK, only the cheap Dorel highback boosters do), and it's just a very sturdy, comfy seat.

Oh, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it over the silly 57 pound booster maximum. :eek:

USmominOz

Well, I was looking at getting one from the states to replace the turbo in dh's car. We can not get the daisy here, it only comes in a black/red and dd will not go for it.

Here in Au they only test to the 57lbs, but it would be easier not to have the top tether because I can put it in any car when we travel and don't have to worry if they have a tether point. If we were to ever get in a accident I would not want to take the chance that it is not tested past that weight limit.

Here is a pic of the one here: I don't want to pay $200 when I can have one shipped over for a total of $150.

P3190064-1.jpg

P3190068-1.jpg

scatterbunny

Ah, I see! Yes, I'd go for the US version, then. :) Ours doesn't have such plush covers, but they're still very nice. And I forgot to mention how much I adore the shoulderbelt guides. They are closed enough that the shoulderbelt doesn't fall out of the belt guide when dd unbuckles, something that happened with annoying frequency in the Turbo and Parkway.

USmominOz

Can you tell me who makes the Compass? Do you know if you can get replacement covers for them?

Amazon has them on sale and the are about $25 more w/ shipping at Elite carseats, do you think one would have a newer mfd than the other?
I just saw that Albee has it on sale too.

I am thinking of getting her the Daisy since she vetoed the one here and now I can not find the one here like the Parkway in the states.

Out of all your boosters which one do you like best?

I told dd she had to gain 4 more ponds before she could use it full time.
But the fact that it folds might come in handy when we go to the states, I could just carry it on as carry on luggage and put it on the top.

Last edited:

scatterbunny

Yup, Learning Curve makes Compass, but I believe they bought them out only recently, so some retail sites may still only list it as the Compass B510, I'm not totally positive.

Of all my boosters, *my* favorite is the Recaro Start because it's soooo sturdy, top-tethers, is not only height adjustable but seat depth adjustable, too, and it adjusts really tall. Oh, the optional shoulderbelt lockoff is great in vehicles without the option of switching to ALR from ELR. The B510 comes in a close second, though. It has all the pluses that the Recaro lacks: the B510 is still very sturdy while being lightweight and not cumbersome to move from vehicle-to-vehicle. It sits dd lower on the vehicle seat, something she prefers (we always used her Alpha Omega without the base, then she used a Husky and also a Fisher Price Futura, all sit very low on the vehicle seat). It folds.

You could also consider the pink/gray Recaro Vivo, but it doesn't offer as much leg support as the B510, even though it adjusts taller. It's also very sturdy and solid-feeling and one of my favorites, especially how it positions the belts (search for my booster comparison pics to see what I mean).

megabloxs

Compass boosters are being sold in New Zealand some time this year too, so the shipping to Australia may be cheaper for you.

(I just asked a friend of mine about them, but they are not for sale yet, no idea when either)

USmominOz

Compass boosters are being sold in New Zealand some time this year too, so the shipping to Australia may be cheaper for you.

(I just asked a friend of mine about them, but they are not for sale yet, no idea when either)

Thanks, but I can get it shipped here for about $70.00 which is not too bad.
But please let me know when you do get them, because I will have to get a back up for ds when he is old enough.

USmominOz

Do you live in NZ? If so what web site do you have that sells car seats?
I would love to have a look.

USmominOz

I have just e-mailed compass to see if they sell extra covers, because if the seat here in Au goes on sale I can pick it up to use for ds in the future since it has a 10 yr life span or a 2bd seat to use in dh's car. I think that the cover from the Compass would fit it. The only difference between the seats is that the one here has the top tether which is a bonus to keep the seat attached. If it goes on sale it should be about $150 which is not too bad.

USmominOz

I just found one on sale at Toys R Us here in Au but it does not come w/ the travel bag.

Do you think I should buy one from the US or get one here? The one in the US has the travel bag / higher weight limit.
The Au one has a top tether, lower weight limit, no travel bag, but has a 10 yr exp.

Does she ever complain about the lack of the side wings on it?

Last edited:

scatterbunny

The tether really is an awesome feature, so is the ten year lifespan, and honestly, with a tether and ten year lifespan, I really would have no qualms about using a booster beyond the weight limit for my own child. The seatbelt is holding the child in, it's not the same as using a harness beyond the weight limit, IMHO. :twocents: The travel bag can be purchased separately, if I'm not mistaken.

bethng

I just found one on sale at Toys R Us here in Au but it does not come w/ the travel bag.

Do you think I should buy one from the US or get one here? The one in the US has the travel bag / higher weight limit.
The Au one has a top tether, lower weight limit, no travel bag, but has a 10 yr exp.
?

I just got our compass booster as a backup and the bag is awesome! I didnt know it came with one so it was a bonus lol . Keeps it nice and clean in the garage.

USmominOz

The tether really is an awesome feature, so is the ten year lifespan, and honestly, with a tether and ten year lifespan, I really would have no qualms about using a booster beyond the weight limit for my own child. The seatbelt is holding the child in, it's not the same as using a harness beyond the weight limit, IMHO. :twocents: The travel bag can be purchased separately, if I'm not mistaken.

I got the Daisy one from the states and I will wait till later on to get one here. Since some booster seats are going up in weight maybe this one will too.

scatterbunny

:p Either way, I hope you're happy with the B510! We really love ours, no tether and all. :D It's a fairly lightweight seat, so the lack of tether doesn't really bother me.

USmominOz

Well, the sale ended here today, but when she does go into a booster full time then I will get another one here. She did not like the cover here, it was black & gray, very boyish.

I did send you a pm about where to look for the mfd on the seat so my friend can check it before she sends it to me. I would hate to get a 2006 one sent over.

Thanks for all of your help. I think that it will be easy to travel w/ this seat. Do you know if it would fit in the over head storage in the plane?

I will hopefully be brining a GN back w/ me for ds. I just have to wait till the Galaxy one goes on sale.

scatterbunny

I did send you a pm about where to look for the mfd on the seat so my friend can check it before she sends it to me. I would hate to get a 2006 one sent over.

I took some pics today to show where the DOM sticker is on my B510. It's located on the bottom of the seat (circled in pink). Also, on the back of the seat, embossed in the plastic, it says, "Do not use after..." with the date. It's good for 7 years instead of the more common 6 years.

I think that it will be easy to travel w/ this seat. Do you know if it would fit in the over head storage in the plane?

Yes, I do think it should fit in the overhead bin of most planes. I included a pic of it folded, sitting next to my coffee table. I couldn't find a tape measure, sorry, but I can have dh find it when he gets off work if you'd like the folded measurements. When I flew in November my carry-on suitcase fit in one bin, but not the other (it was just about an inch too wide). I am certain the B510 is smaller (when folded) than my luggage. It's also lightweight. I have chronic neck/upper back pain and I would not mind carrying the B510 through an airport.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC