What do you think of the Mazda 5?

VLsMom

We're considering this vehicle. Any thoughts off the top of your head?

I guess I should add - we have 2 kids. A 3 month old baby in a KeyFit and a 2 1/2 yr old in a Scenera/old Triumph.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I :love: my Mazda 5! It has one problem that I absolutely hate, but the love makes up for it most of the time.

Things I love:
Gas mileage
Price
Turn radius
Low to the ground like a car
Still a bit taller than a car
3rd row seats fold flat
2nd row seats are super-easy for installing carseats.
4 top tether anchors
'08 models have rear air vents and passenger arm rest (older models were lacking these and are my only other complaints)

Things I don't love:
I call the cargo area the "rear glove box." Seriously, it's TINY.
The radiator over-fill tank looks just like a windshield wiper fluid tank. (oops) Mine is now labeled "RADIATOR FLUID ONLY" with a sharpie; seriously, the windshield wiper tank is completely hidden, there's just a sneaky little cap for it!
The 3rd row seats suck. They suck for installing carseats (even the Marathon is tricky), and they suck even worse for boosters and seat-belt age kids. The shoulder portion of the seat belt is VERY forward of the seat. My 13yo has 3-4 inches between his shoulder and the seat belt. Not good!

I have more detailed info here:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=18200

southpawboston

i don't own one (we got a mazda3 instead), but we did an extended weekend test drive of the 5, and we also get a 5 as a loaner when the 3 is in for maintenance. i'll echo the comments of defrost, and add a few notes of my own:

- the 5 wasn't crash tested in the US, but it gets TOP RATINGS in euroNCAP *AND* japNCAP tests (the european and japanese equivalents of NHTSA/IIHS), which include offset frontal and side impact testing.

- i don't like that ESC is not offered in the US, even as an option (it is available on the 3, which is the same car mechanically as the 5, so there's no reason to not make it available on the 5 other than marketing :mad: )

- the stock tires are great in summer, but horrible in winter (same tires as the 3). consider getting dedicated snow tires if you live in a snowy climate.

- road noise is fairly high compared with some larger minivans, especially in the back.

- gas mileage could be better for a 4-cylinder vehicle.

- trunk space is actually quite large if the third row is folded down.

- handles better than any other minivan, hands down. handles more like a sporty car than a minivan.

- for urban drivers, it can park almost anywhere.

- can't beat the price! it's a tremendous bargain.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yep! :thumbsup: SPB, thanks for adding all the things I forgot!

And yes, if you're only using those 3rd row seats very occasionally for adults or certain carseats, they're not bad, and there is a LOT of cargo room with them folded down.

teekadog

I don't hate the 3rd row... the seat belt issue is a PITA if you have kids out of carseats, but I've never had trouble putting a carseat back there. Except for the Radian.

But I just bought a Regent for the 3rd row. And 5yo dd is saying it's too cramped. I think she's lying. She loved it the whole time we were trying it out... but now that it's actually HERS... and that means lil sis gets her old much-beloved Marathon... can you say sour grapes??? Oh well, it has DH worried enough that I bought a Safeguard to try, and also have a friend who I hope will let me try her Nautilus...

The 5 is a very little car. If you are of the mindset that bigger is better, you will not be happy. If, however, you realize a car is for driving in and not for living in, you will enjoy the road :thumbsup:

VLsMom

Thank you so much for all your input!!! (sorry I didn't respond sooner - we left town for a couple days and I actually forgot I posted the question! hehe)

jewlsvern

I love, love, love my Mazda 5. My husband actually works for Mazda and it is the car I choose to drive. I have the CX-9 temporarily now and I miss my 5. The love that the doors slide open. The CX-9 doors do not and in clsoe parking spots it is so hard to get my infant carrier in. With the 5 I don't have to worry about the other kids hitting doors next 2 them. I actually have my 5 yr old nephew in the back seat in a HBB and have no problems fitting him in the seat belt comfortably. We have had the 07 and are getting the 08. The 08 has great new features that I really like. I definitely recommend it. It is easy to drive and feels like a car and not a van.
Julie

teekadog

We thought about waiting for the 08 to get things like the armrest... but I liked the 07 color choices more :p

I agree, the sliding doors are heaven with the kids!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC