Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Confessions of A Horrible Parent (And Tech)!

{excuse any typos...still upset}

Not sure where the best place to post this would be, but thought I would share to try to get it off my chest before bedtime.

Today, as I was teaching SIL to install her Radian and a Scenera, I noticed how incredibly dirty my van was, so this afternoon, DH & I decided to clean it up. The kids' seats were disgusting, so I figured it was time for a good cleaning. So, I got both seats inside & we started cleaning out the van (we're HORRIBLE about letting them snack, so there's always a mess).

Well, we have a middle bench in the van, and I noticed that the seat felt a little wobbly. I looked at the back of it, and from the little illustrations on the handles, I gathered that if the buttons weren't sticking out, the seat was locked in placed. Okay...still a big shaky, but locked in, right?

Vacuumed, came inside, made dinner, kids to bed, set to cleaning car seats and changing the covers...

Then I got them all done, and DH & I headed to the garage to reinstall them tonight since I have an appointment tomorrow. So, we're casually talking, and I mention to DH that I don't like the way the seat is shaking & give it a jostle). He says "HOLY SHIT! That thing should not be moving that much!"

Yeah...he runs around the van in a panic & we figure out that the seat isn't completely locked in the van! We don't know how it happened, but somehow, the handles on the back of the seat got pushed from the up position to the down position. We don't know who pushed the handles down (they should be up). We have no idea how long it's been like that. And worst of all, we have no idea if the seat would have held in a crash.

Our car seats were installed and checked by not one, but two techs, but a lot of good that would have done if we can't even make sure the stupid van is put together correctly. I don't think I've ever felt as scared/upset as I did standing there thinking about what could have happened.
    Suzi ~ CPST
    Emmit - 3.19.04 Sunshine Kids Monterey
    Evangeline "Evie" - 2.28.06 Britax Frontier 85/Marathon (ERF for 2y4m11d)
    Emory Wyatt- 1.22.09 - Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL/Radian 65
    Mattie - 7.28.00 - 65 lb Golden Retriever, PetBuckle

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member mommy2env's Avatar

Re: Confessions of A Horrible Parent (And Tech)!

I bet you felt horrible

Dont beat yourself up. It was not done on purpose. Just be glad you were never in an accident. I know, easier said than done.

DD1~14yrs old~Seatbelt

DD2~8 yrs old ~Cow Frontier 85 and Pink Monterey
    DS~3 yrs old Britax Roundabout and Coccoro in Licorice/Carrot Cake
    DD3~ 10 weeks in a Chicco Keyfit

Yeah, I'd have to go with what Vanessa said - you can't sweat it! It's done, and be grateful nothing happened, and you'll probably find yourself checking that ALL THE TIME now. I felt awful - a friend of mine and I went for a ride in my car, she put her DD in my DD1's seat - we got to our destination and realized her seat wasn't buckled in - someone must have unbuckled it.. and we never noticed! I felt worse that it wasn't even my own kid, but my friend just said "we didn't crash, no harm, no foul" and though I've been hyper-vigilant since, she's right I totally empathize - have a hot bath and try to forget for now. HUGS!

Des - Mama to:
    Paige - 66lbs, 9 yrs old - Purple Diono Monterey and Pink TurboBooster, Mikaylah - 55lbs, 7 yrs old - Pink Diono Monterey & Rainbow Butterfly TurboBooster, Kiara - 37lbs, 3 years old! - FF Monet True Fit and RF Flora Radian XTSL

(((((HUGS)))))

Thankfully, you found out the easy way

We all face similar frightening moments once we become aware....
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Don't feel so bad...I took my car to a fire station and carseat inspection and it passed with flying colors. Come to find out later down the road....I had it wrong... I had belts and latch being used at the same time, then found out that was wrong.. Then I got right and thought it was all handled but I guess not...still was never told that tether should always be used when either latch (if ok on weight) or buckle is used..It's definetely a learning experience...

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Don't feel bad at all. It happens. We were on the freeway last weekend when DD1 looked over and discovered that DD2's Husky was unbuckled. (We had just dropped off a friend of DD1 after a sleep over. The friend must have hit the wrong button I guess) I know darn well I need to check the seat after someone sits next to it, but I didn't this time.

If being human makes me a horrible parent (and tech!) then we should start a club.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~