Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

True fit & the headrest

Another post popped a question into my head, and I thought I'd see what other's opinions are.

The headrest on the truefit is optional rf'ing up to 22lbs, then it becomes mandatory - regardless of kiddo's height.

Do you think it becomes mandatory at that weight because as a child gets heavier the seat is going to have more rotation, so they wanted the headrest there for if a child ramps further up the seat?

Or maybe the headrest actually affects the downward rotation of the seat?

Or, maybe it's their way of trying to make sure that the headrest is attached before most kids get tall enough to actually need it.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: True fit & the headrest

It speaks to me of dummy sizes. I guess the 22 pound/29 inch one year old dummy fit fine without the headrest, and the 34 pound 37 inch 3 year old dummy was too big without the headrest (once you start looking at the world in terms of dummy size, and FMVSS 213 regulations, it's hard to look at weight limits any other way, lol).

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

CPS Fanatic

Re: True fit & the headrest

yeah, i'd guess that it has more to do with size and fit than affecting rotation.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.