Tethering question...

Tara

Just wondering...if you have a vehicle with 3 rows of seats..and there are anchor spots behind the 2nd row which are 'intended' for 2nd row FF car seats ... could those same anchor spots be used to RF tether a seat in the 3rd row?

Not that I desire to be crawling into the rear row to buckle up a child LOL, but, when one does have other older children capable of helping in such a manner, this can be a possiblity.

Just wondering. Since most vehicle manuals don't list RF tether points, only a few FF locations. I just wondered if it made a difference ??

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Good question....

My uneducated guess would be to assume that's fine, but I think I'd probably call the vehicle manufacturer CS to make sure =/ If you do, could you let us know? :eek: :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sure, I don't see why not, unless it's a *really* funky angle (like, tether tearing on a metal edge of some sort), or it's being used by another child seat (obviously only one hook per anchor). That was a good thing about Windstars for a long time, they had a top tether for the front passenger seat, that was great for RF tethering Britaxes in the second row!

Tara

Yeah, I was reading in my truck manual yesterday...they mention a tether spot for the front seat..being at the rear of seat cushion or something or other like that..not that I cared..not installing a car seat in the front passenger seat with an airbag!! (that cannot be turned off) So, anywho... As you said of the Windstar..that spot could RATHER be used as a RF tether for that 2nd row. Except that it would only be for that outboard postion, right? No spot for a center position RF tether?

One of these days I'll follow through and actually GO ASK about these things LOL
Because once the baby is moved to the RA or FPSE (well that doesn't need tethered RF, but anyway, was noting that as another RF seat option for us LOL)I'll need to find a RF tether point from the 2nd row.

Last edited:

Tara

Ok so that site also showed the Swedish option where the seat can be tethered under the vehicle seat the car seat is in. Wasn't that the one that was 'up in the air' a while ago? Not certain if that should be done? If so, has any more been heard about that? That's what we did in our Suburban...the RF seat was 2nd row, center position, we tethered to the bar beneath it.
I suppose you have to double check that spot with the 'authorities'? To see if it is an acceptable anchor spot? Or would that be ok in 'any' vehicle?
That site also showed attaching it to the leg of the seat in which the carseat sits. Same questions as above...would that be allowed in 'any' vehicle? Just certain ones? Any clue??
LOL
The Swedish method would be ideal. Either attaching to a bar under that seat or to the anchor behind that seat which is at present being used for FF.

Last edited:

KeikiHula

I do this all the time in my Durango and I can't see why you couldn't. If we have extra people to take with us I put the boys in the 3rd row and tether Cody's RF'ing Wizard to the second row anchor.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
This is why I love my Chevy Tahoe & dh Chevy Silverado truck so much, They have a tether anchor for the front passenger seat. But, Like you I will never put a child in the front seat with an airbag I can't turn off. So, I used that tether hook for when my girls where rearfacing on the 2nd row. Worked perfectly and it also said it was okay in the LATCH book. So. I would say yes you can do the same with the 2nd row tether anchors for a rearfacing child in the 3rd row.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I agree. In general, this should be acceptable for use with the Britax convertibles with the Versa-Tether.

M

Mori

Great site, papooses! Thank you! The Britax Wizard isn't mentioned, but it also has that tether system.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC