WWYD? 911? Non-Emergency Number? Otherwise?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
What do you do when you see blatant misuse/non-use while you're driving? Do you call 911 or a non-emergency number? Do you ignore it? Try to get the driver's attention?

Does it depend on what it is? What if it's a completely unrestrained child jumping around in a moving car? Infant seat RF in the front seat (of a car that should have air bags)?

Sadly I've seen both in the past week. Once I didn't have a phone with me, and the other time the person sped off before I could do anything (and I was in a different jurisdiction than the agency I have programed into my phone).

Just wondering what people do.

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Here in MD I call #77---which connects me to the local State Police barracks.

I saw a child no more than 3 STANDING in the center of a F250 yesterday morning....in the rain. Dad no belt, mom in belt. I called it in, but no one ever got them. It was a newer model truck too.

I just KNEW they were going to get in a crash---and I know CPR...so I would have stopped, and let them HAVE it. It wouldn't have been pretty.

Susan

Stretchy Glue

In WA we have a hotline for car seat misuse. I have the number progamed into my phone and I call with plate number, description of car, of child, misuse details, time, location and date. The registered owner gets a letter in the mail describing the misuse and the law.

CandCfam

If I am in view of the car and can follow them, then 911.
If I am not, then I get a description of the driver and the car and I call our city attorney's office and file a complaint.
Out state does not have a specific child restraint misuse/non-use number to call.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Some areas have toll free numbers to call, some have cell phone codes (or whatever it's called), some areas require you to call the local police stations, some allow 911.

In my area, I use 911. I only report illegal situations.

i wish i knew this afternoon. i saw a brand new toyota camry with four kids around age 3-8 in the back seat with no car seats or seatbelts.

Mommypooh

on my way home tonight saw a totally pimped out jacked up on 27 inch rims old cadalic thing with an infant seat RF in the front and then 4 children no belts in the back. Can't do a darn thing. THe kids were maybe 2, 4, 6, 10.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC