Oddball hypothetical question about RFing tether

The Bjorns

Here's a weird question for everyone. As I was lying in bed early Saturday morning I had a strange thought come to be about car seat installs. If you had a van or SUV with a third row of seats and were installing a seat RFing, could you attach a rear tether to one of the tether anchor points on the back of the second row seat? Does that make sense? Not that I have a car like this or even know anyone who does, but I was just curious if it would be allowable. I wouldn't want to put a seat RFing in a 3rd row because I can't picture how I'd get the kiddo in/out of the seat without being a gymnast myself, but it was a weird thought that came to me in a sleep deprived state while feeding my DD before the sun came up.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Yup. :) you can tether a third row rf Britax convertible or Radian to an unused second row anchor. There are even a few rare vehicles that actually have tether anchors on the back of the front seats (some Volvos and older Fords, for example).

The Bjorns

Cool!:) It made sense that it would allowed. I'm actually surprised that more cars don't have a tether built in to the front seats or on the floor. Volvo doesn't surprise me that they'd have it, but older Fords? Now that seems odd!:p My Acura has a dedicated LATCH in the center with tethers for all 3 rear seats so I would think that a good RFing tether location wouldn't be out of the question. Guess I'll just have to keep filling out their surveys indicating that safety is my #1 priority. Yippee--more junk mail!

J-max

CPST Instructor
Yup. :) you can tether a third row rf Britax convertible or Radian to an unused second row anchor. There are even a few rare vehicles that actually have tether anchors on the back of the front seats (some Volvos and older Fords, for example).
My 04 suburban has a built-in tether anchor in the front passenger seat - they are the same seats they use for captain's chairs for second row.

valleyfam

My 01 Ford Windstar has an tether anchor on the front passenger side seat (currently have my rf blvd tether to it), a tether on both captain's chairs in the middle row, and of course 3 on the third row which can't be used for rf tether of course. I love having dd rf in the captain's chair and tethered.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
In my Mazda 5, the only RF tether location for the 3rd row would be the TA on the back of the 2nd row seat. There's literally nothing else back there!

I might even consider having a RF child in the 3rd row in my vehicle, as it would be ridiculously easy to put her in through the cargo hatch (vehicle is low to the ground, cargo hatch is extremely tiny).

oxeye

In my Mazda 5, the only RF tether location for the 3rd row would be the TA on the back of the 2nd row seat. There's literally nothing else back there!

I might even consider having a RF child in the 3rd row in my vehicle, as it would be ridiculously easy to put her in through the cargo hatch (vehicle is low to the ground, cargo hatch is extremely tiny).

I've done this in my Pacifica when I've had friends' kids in the car. It's really easy to buckle the kid in the third row RF through the hatch. It's actually more difficult to have a seat FF back there if the child can't buckle themselves yet.

And that RF seat in the third row was tethered to the anchor for the seat in front of it (since the car seat in the second row in front of it was RF also).

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Here's a weird question for everyone. As I was lying in bed early Saturday morning I had a strange thought come to be about car seat installs. If you had a van or SUV with a third row of seats and were installing a seat RFing, could you attach a rear tether to one of the tether anchor points on the back of the second row seat? Does that make sense? Not that I have a car like this or even know anyone who does, but I was just curious if it would be allowable. I wouldn't want to put a seat RFing in a 3rd row because I can't picture how I'd get the kiddo in/out of the seat without being a gymnast myself, but it was a weird thought that came to me in a sleep deprived state while feeding my DD before the sun came up.

I do this whenever we go somewhere with my folks in their Odyssey. It's quicker than finding a RF tether spot for the 2nd row (and we could NOT find one when they had a 2004), and it's easy to put her in as she can climb in herself and there's usually an adult sitting back there anyway.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
My dh '02 Silverado & my '05 Tahoe both have a front passenger seat tether hook that can be used as a rear face tether hook (I used it for both girls).

This is what it looks like.
IMG_0398.jpg

armywife12

How would that be safe if the tether can't be connected to a moving peice? I have heard that it is allowed but this part puzzled me. My capt chairs move forward and back and I though if I was in an accident, the seats could possibly come off the tracks. I hope I am making sense here. I would never be in this kind of position where I would need to tether in the 3rd row seat but I need to feed my curiousity...lol.

southpawboston

Cool!:) It made sense that it would allowed. I'm actually surprised that more cars don't have a tether built in to the front seats or on the floor. Volvo doesn't surprise me that they'd have it, but older Fords?

ford was one of the major contributors to the international development of LATCH, and was an early adopter of LATCH :). you know they now own volvo, right? ;)

Shanora

I was just checking out my '03 ford windstar manual online, and you almost don't need to look at the car seat manual.....it has everything in there...including the 5 step test for older children.

I also have 6 tether spots in my van....and I can use the LATCH/UAS in the middle of the backseat (I can't however share the one LATCH/UAS connector with another car seat if already in use). I never thought to look....as I only use the captain chairs.

Hmmm....Go ford!! LOL

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
Not that it matters...but years ago, I don't think Ford or other manufacturers put a tether on the front passengers seat for the purpose of rear-face tethering, or tethering at all. My 1996 Windstar had a tether anchor on the front passengers seat. I always assumed it was (very fortunately) there by default since the seats for the second row were exactly the same. I don't believe that that tether anchor was even shown in the manual (and if it was, it would have explained FF tethering only) It's just the way ALL the captains chairs were manufactured. I just don't think Ford was that far ahead of the game in 1996... Britax hit the US market in about 1996, so rear face tethering was a totally new concept for the US.

Like I said, not that it really matters...;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC