What happens if someone is reported for not buckling up their kids

U

Unregistered

I can not get my sister to understand how important it is for her kids to use seatbelts.

She lets her 2 youngest kids age 10 & 12 ride in the back of their dads van that has no seat therefore they are just sitting on the floor.

I am thinking about reporting the the next time I see them doing this.

What happens if I do?

My sister knows that it is the law here in Wa. St. that everyone must wear a seat belt.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
http://www.hwysafety.org/laws/state_laws/restrain2.html shows that she could face a fine of $86 - the police are not Child Protective Services, so I don't think she wouldn't have to worry about facing other neglect/abuse/maltreatment charges based only on a seatbelt issue.... My adivce is for you to be anonymous - $86 is nothing compared to the possible loss of those kids :(

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Thank you. I've been telling her that it was over $500 fine.
Wich still didn't faze her. but maybe if she or her boyfriend actually got a fine it'll change their mind.

Do they give out info on why they should be buckled up or do they just give them the fine?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Of course, they would have to be stopped by a police officer to be ticketed, if the laws in your state carry fines for this type of violation.

You may also find that you can report people in your state to a hotline. This wouldn't result in a fine or violation of any kind, but it would result in them being mailed a packet of information from a police department. We have one in Illinois ( http://www.car-safety.org/driver.html ) . I'm sure other states have them also.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've been trying to find out if NY does & so far have nothing ... I lost the information on how to contact the person in charge of child passenger safety training in NY - any ideas :confused: TIA

U

Unregistered

OH! This sounds a lot like my SIL. She buckles but totally incorrectly and I've mentioned it and she doesn't seem to care. Does anyone know if there is a program like that, where they send out packets, in GA?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Update on free info packets in NY

Just wanted to let anyone know that I spoke to the coordinator in NY & it seems the only option in our state is for give someone her name/number or ask them to visit a local tech *SIGH*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC