Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Is the harness too tight.

I think I've asked this before but my dd's harness is real tight. She never complained in the Summit HBB and it was tight there too. I have a really hard time buckling her in and she says it's hurting her tummy (chest). With the pinch test there's nothing, can't even pinch it nevermind get a finger inside. Can it be loosened so I can pinch up to an inch? I feel like the tighter the better but there seems absolutely no give at all.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Re: Is the harness too tight.

It needs to be snug so that there's not any slack, but not so tight that it causes her to slouch or is painful. You can still have it snug enough that you can't pinch a horizontal fold without hurting her.

If you can pinch an inch it's WAY too loose. You don't have to have it so tight she can't breath, but there needs to be NO slack (nothing to pinch) in the harness.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

You don't WANT to be able to pinch it, but if you can't get a finger under the harness at her collarbone it might be too tight. You don't want to be able to get more than one finger under at the collarbone.
    CPST & Stay at home Cake-decorating/Scrapbooking/Photo Mom to
    Kyrie-10 in Harmony NBB & 5 stepping
    Trey-7 in Monterrey/parkway HBB
    Carter 12/2012 RF in Foonf & Rhett 10/2014 in ClickConnect 40