Need 5 point booster

R

Roger

I have read enough to know that I want to purchase a 5 point booster for my toddler. I am having difficulty finding the right one. I looked at Britax's web site since we already have a Marathon but their booster is only a best positioner.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

Roger

ADS

CandCfam

What is the age and weight of your child?
What vehicle is the seat going into?

The techs will need that information before they can give any recommendations.:)

MomToEliEm

Britax is suppose to be releasing a combination seat (harness then booster) sometime soon (hopefully within the next month or two). It sounds like a pretty good combination seat with high harness heights, but no one has actually played with it so it is difficult to recommend a seat that you haven't tried. If you can wait a little while, it might be good to wait and see what this new Britax seat is all about.

If you need a combination seat now though, here are the only seats that convert to a booster (note: your marathon has about a 17 inch top harness height so that should give you an idea of how these other seats might work for your child):

Graco Nautilus (~$149) - top harness height of 18.5 inches. Can hold children up to 65 pounds. This seat is forward facing only and converts from a harnessed seat to a highback booster to a lowback booster.

Cosco Apex 65 (~$80-$129 depending on model) (also referenced as Safety First Apex, Safety First Biltmore and a few other names) - top harness height is at 17.5 inches and can harness from 22-65 pounds. After the child outgrows the harness, the seat does convert to a highback booster. This seat does require a headrest behind the seat so it will not work in cars without headrests or tall seatbacks.

Where is your child's shoulders in relation to the slots on the marathon? That should tell us a rough estimate of torso height and might allow us to suggest some other seats that might be a better fit for you. Also, how much does he weight? Sometimes a harnessed only seat might be a better fit for you then one that converts to a booster.

U

Unregistered

Sorry about the lack of info as I'm new to this site. My son is a very small 3 years old (3% for height and weight). Our younger son will soon be using the marathon and we want to purchase the best seat out there (price being no object). The seat will be going into a Lexus GX470 so lots of room.

I have looked at the Radian 80 and the Recaro Young Sport. Is one really better than the other? Is there something else we should look for? I want to keep him in a 5 point as long as possible.

Thanks for the responses!!!

Roger

houseofboys

If he's in the 3rd %ile for height & weight then he can still RF for quite awhile if you're interested in doing that. The recommendations will be different depending on whether you want him RF or FF. The Radian can be used RF or FF, although I would suggest the 65 instead of the 80. Based on his size, I doubt he'll ever make it anywhere near 65 pounds before he outgrows the harness - and the harness height is the same on both.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC