Got my new cover and harness...and headrest question!

kidzndogz

Okay, first off, I called to get a replacement harness and cover for my FPSVD because the harness was fraying and my cover was falling apart.

Got new ones in the mail. They sent me a black and tan cover and a MA harness /buckle.

I hate the cover. It doesn't stay on, it pops right off the seat! It's like trying to mold cardboard to something.

I'm not okay using a MA harness with a seat other than a MA. I know it's all pretty much the same seat, but if they are being this stingy with the 33 vs 35 lb limit in the BV and MA vs the DC, and the harness is a MA and the shell is a DC, why would I let them just tell me the harness is fine? They haven't tested it, so I don't know that for sure.

Am I being unreasonable? I really hate complaining about things. If I call them I'm going to feel like a total moocher. And I don't know if they will help me, or if they can. I don't need a MA, I just want my current seat to be safe.

Also, I was putting A's FPSVD in the center the other day, and was double checking in my car (2005 CR-V) manual about that 60-40 split seat. I've never read my car manual, but i have the carseat manual memorized. My Honda manual says you must remove the headrests when using a carseat, but in my carseat manual it has pictures of the carseat being installed on a seat with headrests. Which is it? I removed them per Honda, but it seems weird to have no support behind the top of the shell. And I feel guilty for never having removed the headrests before. :eek:

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The headrest can come off. About the cover, I would call Britax and complain!

cryswilkins

My replacement FPSVD cover was really stiff too, and it did not like to stay on, but after a few days it did loosen up. I think that the MA harness thing is a little strange. I am not sure how I feel about it....

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I don't think I'd sweat over the harness. Britax doesn't make them, they buy them from another company that makes harnesses (IMMI, I think it is?), and it's quite possible they just order a giant box of the same harnesses and use them for all their convertibles. (I don't KNOW that, mind you, I'm just saying it's very possible.)

If you're worried about it, though, call them and ask. Just ask them if the harness they sent you was the same kind of harness that was originally sold with the FPSVD. Or if you still have the old harness, you could compare them. And while you're on the phone with them, tell them about the cover problem, and ask if you can wash it and still return it if washing doesn't loosen it up enough. :D

kidzndogz

I don't think I'd sweat over the harness. Britax doesn't make them, they buy them from another company that makes harnesses (IMMI, I think it is?), and it's quite possible they just order a giant box of the same harnesses and use them for all their convertibles. (I don't KNOW that, mind you, I'm just saying it's very possible.)

If you're worried about it, though, call them and ask. Just ask them if the harness they sent you was the same kind of harness that was originally sold with the FPSVD. Or if you still have the old harness, you could compare them. And while you're on the phone with them, tell them about the cover problem, and ask if you can wash it and still return it if washing doesn't loosen it up enough. :D

Thanks. :) I never thought about the harnesses just coming in a big box from another company...makes sense!

The harness is way different than my original one though. My FPSVD one was black, the new one is gray, isn't as "slippery" and is much thicker and just made differently. I guess thicker should be a good thing...but I'm just not really digging this "build-your own-MA" thing. I'd rather just have all the parts with the right model so I know it's been tested and is fine to use. Maybe I'm just being overprotective...A is also not my child, so I feel as though maybe for my kid I might just trust Britax and use the harness, but since I'm not her parent, I don't feel I have the right to make that parental choice and would prefer a plain vanilla seat that is known for a fact to be okay to use. :(

tjham

For me personally, I would be pleased to get a MA buckle and harness!
Hey, maybe you even got one of the new ones with a double click! :D

But not so much about the cover.

If they had just made some decent covers for the FPSVD the first time around, maybe it would still be in production. :rolleyes:

I have MA covers (bought used) on my two FPSVD seats and have my original covers as back-ups. I just could tell that there was no way those covers would last for very long!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Agreeing with Debbie...IMMI makes all those harnesses, and the MA is the same size seat shell as the FP, so there's totally no reason to be concerned (if anything, you got a higher grade harness, which is great...the put cheaper stuff on the FP).

:thumbsup:

kidzndogz

Well I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say about the cover. My red and black one popped off too, so I washed it to soften it, and the stitching fell apart. :rolleyes:

As for the harness...I still really don't feel good about it. I'm not sure why, I know in all probability it's perfectly safe to switch seat parts around, but something doesn't feel right. I guess I sort of feel that I spent the money on a seat that would last me without needing parts replaced, especially parts that don't even go with the seat. Not sure what else they can really do to help me though, but I feel like I need to tell them I am not comfortable with this.

As far as the headrests, any idea why my car manual makes me remove them and the FPSVD manual doesn't say anything about it and has headrests in the installation pictures? I'd rather leave my headrests alone...I'm afraid they are going to get misplaced if I leave them off. :confused:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
As far as the headrests, any idea why my car manual makes me remove them and the FPSVD manual doesn't say anything about it and has headrests in the installation pictures? I'd rather leave my headrests alone...I'm afraid they are going to get misplaced if I leave them off. :confused:

Your vehicle manual probably says to take them off because they often interfere with the install. The carseat manual shows them on because most people don't think to remove, don't want to remove, or own a vehicle in which it's difficult or even impossible to remove them.

It's okay either way - kind of like LATCH or the seatbelt - whichever one gets the best install is the best method for your situation. Just be sure you're routing the top tether according to your vehicle manual, which is probably under the headrest since it says to remove them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC