Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

flying with Blvd.

i have read mixed reviews about this. we will be flying with ds's Blvd. we are flying Delta and i think we are flying on a 767 but im not sure which kind.

my issue is whether i will be able to RF this seat on the plane. this is the first time i have flown w/ his carseat (he is 26 months).

he is going to be sitting next to the window..from what i understand, thats the best place for him, right?

its a 3 hour flight. anyone have any problems keeping their kids in the car seat for that duration of a flight?

tia

rach

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: flying with Blvd.

The boulevard should fit just fine rearfacing and forward facing (the radian is the only seat that I know of that doesn't install well rearfacing on the planes). Some airline staff may have issues with you rearfacing, but the seat should install fine. The person in front of you may complain that they cannot recline the their seat, but since you bought a seat for your child, you should be allowed to use the seat in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions which state that you can rearface your child's seat.

Make sure that your seat isn't in the exit row, or the row in front of or behind the exit row and most airlines don't allow carseats installed in any of those rows.

Print off this document from the FAA stating that you can install your seat per the seat's instructions (which state rearfacing is appropriate for your child). Without it, they may state that you must forward face so the person in front of you can recline their seat (which isn't true if you purchased the seat for your child).
    http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...%20120-87A.pdf

Before you go, make sure that you can find the "approved for airline use" sticker as you may be asked to show the sticker prior to bording the plane.

My kids have always done great on the plane. Usually they sleep on the plane (something about the plane vibrations that makes them sleep). Puppets are also a fun thing on the plane (did you know the airline sickness back makes a great puppet - just make sure it wasn't used previously). Just make sure whatever toy you bring, it isn't something small or something that might easily fall under the seat and be lost forever.

ITA with everything the PP said.

The only thing I have to add is that if you are flying with another adult, one of you should preboard with the carseat and install it, while the other stays at the gate with the child. Let him runaround and burn of some steam.

Then the child can be one of the last to board and isn't sitting in his seat in a non-moving vehicle for 15 minutes. Once the plane is moving, there is no trouble keeping them in their seats. By that age, kids just know they can't get out while a car is moving, it is the same on a plane.

Be sure to bring plenty of snacks for him on the plane. When I flew with my son when he was 2 1/2, I brought him a Gerber lil'luncher

He thought it was great having his own "lunch box". It seriously comes with everything except a napkin. It comes with a spoon, and a sippy top for the juice. Another thing I brought was trail mix. Jordan loves nuts and dried fruit and it is something that keeps him occupied while he eats, becaus he meticulously picks out one thing at a time to eat. I also brought a couple of sweettarts hidden in my pocket as bribery. After Jordan ate the lunch I brought him, he fell asleep really easily.

Have you thought about how to carry the carseat through the airport? I hightly recommend the Traveling Toddler.

we are flying alone (toddler and I) to go pick up our new car. E has a HA lunchbox and I plan to stack that with snacks, although i do know that anythign even remotely liquid will more than likely be taken away (a friend of mine just had applesauces and stuff taken. ;().
    he is in teh widow seat and we plan on many books, snacks and fun toys (im anal about keeping track of toys).

thanks for the link! im going to print that out to take with me.

thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by aisraeltax View Post
    we are flying alone (toddler and I) to go pick up our new car. E has a HA lunchbox and I plan to stack that with snacks, although i do know that anythign even remotely liquid will more than likely be taken away (a friend of mine just had applesauces and stuff taken. ;().
    he is in teh widow seat and we plan on many books, snacks and fun toys (im anal about keeping track of toys).

thanks for the link! im going to print that out to take with me.

thanks all!
    You may be okay with applesauce. If they take it, they take it, but from my experience, they are more lenient with babies and toddlers. They won't take away babyfood, so you may want to buy the babyfood applesauce rather than the kind for "kids"

Carseat Crazy

On the food, they should allow closed containers of juice and stuff. Just keep it under 4 oz if you can.

My ds has food allergies and we always bring lots of food because of it, including rice milk in a bottle to go into his sippy cup, and have never had a problem. We do carry a doctor note and have never needed it.

yeh, i agreee they "should" but my friend just flew and they made her dump about $20 worth of organic applesauce, soy milk, juice, etc. we dont use bottles but im thinking i may take a large bottle with me for some milk for him (im pregnant so our nursing is reduced substantially).

he's never eaten "baby food" but i guess i could get some of the organic jars of applesauce. it shouldnt be too different, right?

thanks everyone! this is making me feel less stressed! this is the first time we have flown over 2 so first time w/ me having to deal w/ carseat by myself.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Quote Originally Posted by aisraeltax View Post
    yeh, i agreee they "should" but my friend just flew and they made her dump about $20 worth of organic applesauce, soy milk, juice, etc. we dont use bottles but im thinking i may take a large bottle with me for some milk for him (im pregnant so our nursing is reduced substantially).

he's never eaten "baby food" but i guess i could get some of the organic jars of applesauce. it shouldnt be too different, right?

thanks everyone! this is making me feel less stressed! this is the first time we have flown over 2 so first time w/ me having to deal w/ carseat by myself.
    They have always let me bring a full sippy cup through.

Im going to print out those pages and take them with me to prevent anything like what happened to my friend. hopefully, that will be sufficient.

its almost always the case, though, that it depends on where you are...some TSA employees just dont know the rules and dont really care, yk?

thanks for the links.