Tether location???

Airforcemomma

I am hoping someone with a latch manual can tell me where a tether anchor would be in a 99 Chevy Venture?

I went out with my girlfriend the other day and when I went to install my son's car seat in her van we could not find a tether anchor anywhere to tether his seat.

So, both her and I are curious and would like to know where we can find a tether anchor for the next time I need to put my kids seats in her car . Her kids are older and none of them use car seats.

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I believe tether anchors were not factory installed in Ventures until the '01 model year. She would have to have some installed.

ETA: Or you could tether to a seatbelt temporarily.

Airforcemomma

I believe tether anchors were not factory installed in Ventures until the '01 model year. She would have to have some installed.

ETA: Or you could tether to a seatbelt temporarily.
I tried to do the tether to a seat belt but the tether clip was too thick to fit through the hole in the latch plate and it was a lap/shoulder belt that was not directly behind his seat.

Mae

Ok, this is OT, and I'm sorry... but how exactly do you tether to a seatbelt? I've heard of this numerous of times, but never asked, so I'm curious..

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My 97 Transport's (same body as her Venture) very clearly shows where to tether.

Yeah, I think I was wrong. It's the seat-mounted tether anchors that began in the '01 model year. Sorry. :eek:

There was a really good thread with photos explaining seatbelt tethering, but I can't find it now. Basically, you can attach the tether hook to the latch plate or you can "roll-up" the webbing (of the lap portion only if you're using a lap/shoulder belt) and put the tether hook around that. Lock the seatbelt and voila, you have a temporary anchor point.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My gf has a 1999 Olds Sillhouette (same as Venture) and she has tethers for her 2nd row captain's chairs, on the floor hidden under the carpet. There is a slit in the carpet, and a little bar that is the TA. You have to look really closely. The 3rd row does not have any TA's for the bench.

ETA: my 2001 Venture has 5 bucket seats and all bucket seats have a TA on the bottom of the seat. Kinda tricky to tether to, but they are there!

crunchierthanthou

Ok, this is OT, and I'm sorry... but how exactly do you tether to a seatbelt? I've heard of this numerous of times, but never asked, so I'm curious..

have you done a search? It's been covered often. You can tether a second row carseat to an unused third row seatbelt. It's a temporary solution. Here are a couple of posts with pictures-

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9298
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=129307&postcount=4

OP- as shown in the pictures, you can tether to the webbing portion of the lapbelt, provided the seatbelt locks on its own.

Airforcemomma

Thanks for the pic's. That helps alot. I had completely forgot about using the lap portion of the belt to anchor to.

I had checked the back/bottom of the bucket seats , 5 bucket seats in back, no bench seats but couldn't find any there. So, I expect as one poster mentioned that they may be under the carpet.

Very interesting, who would have thought it would be so difficult to locate the anchors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC