2007 vs 2008 Britax Marathon....

ADS

fyrfightermomma

And my 2008 MA also has the "double click" buckle meaning you hear a click with each buckle tongue inserted as opposed to my 2007 where it only "clicks" once the 2nd tongue is inserted. Also only after Mid Feb 08 are they 35 lbs RFing. My 2/8/08 is still 33 lbs :) HTH

sb518

35lb rearfacing limit vs. 33 lbs
double click buckle vs. one click buckle

I would try for a 2008 if I was getting a new marathon!

smesteph

I am trying to decide wich one to get, the 2008 I found online for $209.99
The 2007 I found online for $219.99
Just wondering why the 2008 was cheaper...
probably the covers?....
:scratcheshead:

crunchierthanthou

Yeah, it just depends on the demand for the cover. While all the things listed here apply to february 2008 DOMs that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get them if you order a 2008 seat. I think retailers use the year to denote the cover pattern, and it doesn't really mean much in regard to DOM.

smesteph

& actually everything says it's the same (even the weight), but it did say
18.5"W and the 2007's say 19.5" W?.....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Don't rely on e-tailers to get the details right...go straight to www.britaxusa.com for your numbers. Actually, there's not even such a thing as a 2007 or 2008 Britax, that's something the store makes up (Strollers DO have different models, I guess stores feel the need to fancy up the seat descriptions a little)... popular covers will be made for years, a seat may be called a 2006 by accident but made last week...you just never know. That's why I said a 2007 will expire sooner (though yes, the newest seats now have 35 pound rearfacing weight limits which will almost guarantee you can keep even a bigger kid rearfacing to at lesat age 2, which is what safety experts are now recommending)

:)

razmajaz

So, are there 2 ways to find out the COM (which stands for what, BTW?- I feel clueless sometimes:()? 1) Look for the COM on the box, and (2) figure it out on the Britax website? How do I make sure that BRU carries a MA with a new COM before I go out there today?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
So, are there 2 ways to find out the COM (which stands for what, BTW?- I feel clueless sometimes:()? 1) Look for the COM on the box, and (2) figure it out on the Britax website? How do I make sure that BRU carries a MA with a new COM before I go out there today?

LOL - I was sitting here going "She's right, why does a carseat have a Certificate Of Merit?" I had to read back through the thread to figure out it's "DOM - Date Of Manufacture."

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

No, there's only one way to find out the DOM, that's to see the box (or hope someone working online tells you it before you buy it and then sends THAT one and not some other one with a different date). Since we are looking for the ones with the 35 pound RF limit right now, it's a lot more of a pain to get the newest one available, but normally they are anywhere from a week to 7 months old (and up to 1.5 years old if you order from a place that has low turnover...)

razmajaz

No, there's only one way to find out the DOM, that's to see the box (or hope someone working online tells you it before you buy it and then sends THAT one and not some other one with a different date). Since we are looking for the ones with the 35 pound RF limit right now, it's a lot more of a pain to get the newest one available, but normally they are anywhere from a week to 7 months old (and up to 1.5 years old if you order from a place that has low turnover...)

So, it doesn't have to be a 2008 to be a 35 pounder? Would it be easier for me to make sure that it can RF up to 35 lbs and then try to get the latest DOM (not COM:))? Do you think BRU or Target would have any of the newer ones?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, it doesn't technically have to be 'called' a 2008 to be 35 RF, but it does have to have been made in February or newer (I think that's what another post said? Even the January 2008s are still 33...)

razmajaz

Trying to get this all straight! :confused:

Am I looking for a Feb. 2008 MA to get the 35 RF limit? Because....

I just talked w/ BRU and they carry December/2007 MAs, but they say that they only go up to 33lbs RF
and​
I just got off the phone with a guy from another baby store in my state, and he said basically the same thing as BRU, but added that they just don't have the sticker out yet that says that they can RF up to 35 lbs. So, when I asked what that meant for me (could I still use it up to 35 lbs?), he replied that we'll prob have the seat flipped around by then because most kids are too big to be RF at that point and get flipped around at about 35 lbs. :eek: The scary part is that he said he was a carseat tech there. Am I missing something after being on this board for many, many hours?!

Anyways, after I got done w/ my speechlessness, I told him that I would really prefer to have my child RF as long as possible, and could I legally RF him 'til 35 lbs if Britax sent me a sticker or something? He said as long the DOM met up w/ their new RF requirements.

All that to say, I feel stuck!!! I need an MA pronto (today, preferably) but I want the new version, because who knows if my mom will understand the importance of RF and want to buy something else when he grows out of a 33 pounder? Then he would have FF, and i want him RFing as long as possible!
-Rant completed; thanks for bearing w/ me-:eek:
Help!?!

melniemi

The 35# rf limit is not retroactive as far as I know - from what I have read and from an email from Sarah Tilton from Britax. Hipmonkey has some marathons stickered at 35#s - I don't know the covers, but I do know that they did not have croc in stock, so she ordered me one from Britax and it should be shipped out to me this week. I believe someone ordered a cowmoo from albeebaby during the sale and it was 35# rf so maybe try them as well - for that cover anyway?
I would not use a seat past the stickered limits - which is why I made sure the one I am getting is a 35# one. Smaller stores will often check inventory for you to see the dom - if it is march, you are guaranteed 35#s, feb - 50/50 chance since it was mid feb that the limit changed.
Good luck finding a seat!

smesteph

TheMarathon I was planning on getting says it a 2008 rear facing weight limit says 5-30 lbs? Is that a typo on albeebaby's part?
& If They are changing the rear facing weight limit to 35 lbs,Is that something I will have to wait & purchase or if I purchase one now & they change it, will i justbe notified or something?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The seat listed with a 30 lb. RF limit on Albee's site is a typo, although I can't say if it's a 33 lb. or 35 lb. RF limit seat. Kind of luck of the draw at this point as to whether it would be a new enough seat in terms of date of manufacture to RF up to 35 lbs. Britax has said the higher 35 lb. RF weight limit will not be retroactive and to abide by the RF weight limit stated on the label for any given seat.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Where are you located? Do you have any speciality baby stores around you that carry Britax? It would probably be easier to go into a store (other than Target, BRU, etc.) and find one with the 35lb limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC