Anyone Care To Experiment With Me? Measuring Torso Height

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Measuring torso heights?

I've always read to measure my kiddos' torso heights by having them sit with their backs flush against the wall, legs straight out. Well, as we all know, that tends to wind up measuring a bit lower than in the carseat.

So, I had my DD sit "criss-cross-applesauce" to see if that got a more accurate measurement. It adds about a half-inch to her measurement, and makes a more accurate assessment of how she fits in her carseats. Straight-legged, she should have a half-inch of growing room in the MA, legs crossed, she should be even with them. Well, she's even with them.

I checked this with a MA and a Radian. Anyone else have different seats and different-size kids they can check?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Re: Anyone Care To Experiment With Me?

Wow, that was a good flash of insight (and if a few more people get the same result, it will make it a lot easier to tell people what to do to measure their kid!... what did you use at her shoulder? I usually use a biggish book on my kids' heads to get a straight line to the wall)

Mama!

14.75 legs straight out
15.5 legs crossed!!!!:eek:

DD 4.5 yrs

Defrost

Wow, that was a good flash of insight (and if a few more people get the same result, it will make it a lot easier to tell people what to do to measure their kid!... what did you use at her shoulder? I usually use a biggish book on my kids' heads to get a straight line to the wall)

Hm, I suppose pictures would be nice, eh? I used a ruler to get the level of measurement, and a sewing measuring tape, not a tool-type metal tape measure.

Gimme a few, I'll take pics.

Mama!

You want me to take a pic of the wall where I marked on it? (LOL)

Defrost

To those who've posted measurement differences, how do those measurements compare with which slots they are using on their carseats, and are they RF or FF?

The big question is whether legs-crossed actually translates to more accurate measurements of where they fit in their carseats. Kids are going to cross their legs differently, after all, but if "most" of them measure more accurate to which harness slots their using, this might be a better way to measure. If "most" of them don't match up with their harness slots when measured this way, the old way is better, see?

Here's pics. Legs straight:
IMG_1904.jpg

Legs crossed:
IMG_1905.jpg

Defrost

No, no, I don't really need pics of other kids. I do need to know which carseat(s) they're using, and which harness slots they're using and how far below them, and what the manufacturer says is the measurement for that slot.

Defrost

Hope you don't mind I changed the title Debbie, I wanted more people to see this :)

Not at all, thank you! I was about to bump the thread up so folks would see it.

I need to know the difference in measurements between straight-legs and crossed-legs, and how that compares to the actual slot they're using in the installed carseat, please. :)

Mama2J

I'll play as soon as I get a chance to measure J. I'll put in my carseat info now.

Regent - just above second from bottom slots - 14.4
Nautilus - about even with second from bottom slots - 14.5

(Last time I measured him last year, he was 14.5, but I'll do it again. That was sitting with legs straight out.)

ETA: When I picked him up from school yesterday, he was about even with the second to bottom slots on the Regent too. I think he's a little above though when he has a jacket on. I'll try to measure him when he wakes up today.

Last edited:

Tara

I'll try to remember to do this.
Doodles is napping at the moment. She's at the 2nd from the top slots on the Radian...whatever height that is, I don't remember. I'll *try* to check this all out soon and post back.

This could prove to be a very interesting experiment. Good thinkin' Debbie ;)

elle7715

What if we can't convince our kids to cross their legs? LOL
I do notice a big difference between DDs torso height (measured sitting against a wall) and where she sits in her carseats. I had her sit in her toddler sized chair and pushed that up against the wall. Her legs bent at the knee and it was more accurate that way.
ETA: I think that's the way the Britax site prefers?

HEVY

Well color me confused. :confused: I measured 14 1/2 inches on the wall, crisscross was 1/2 cm higher. I did it over and over again. Yet in the car my dd is on the 16.75 slots. In the house she had a good 3 inches to that slot, in the car she's almost level with it. On previous measurments and the most recent with the doc she measured 16 torso. So either I'm wrong or Doc is wrong, I guess I can't help ya much.

Mama2J

Ok I've done my homework. Here are my findings:

Model: 4 1/2 years old, 38 pounds, 39 inches tall
Torso height (legs straight out): 14 inches
Torso height (legs criss-crossed): almost 15 inches

Seats: Regent and Nautilus
Nearest Slots: Second from bottom (14.4 and 14.5)
Fit: at or sometimes just above slots

scatterbunny

Hmm, I don't know...when I measure H's torso height with her sitting flat against the wall, legs straight in front of her, I get a hair under 19 inches, but she still has room in a Nautilus, so she's got to be more like 18-18.25 inches. So with my child, it isn't certain that measuring this way will result in a lower torso measurement than is accurate. I always tell folks to measure two ways, this way, and by sitting them in a current seat and measuring space between shoulders and top slots, and then measuring up to the top slots without the child in the seat. Torso height is SO not an exact science, it just helps give a general idea on how a child may fit various seats.

Defrost

Yeah, it looks like we're getting a pretty wide range of results. Keep 'em coming, though! If nothing else, it's interesting. :D

Mama!

DD is on the 2nd to bottom slots on her Regent.

If I used the legs straight out measurement, she's just under the slot.

If I used criss cross measurement, she's just above.

I think we are at that point where she is *almost* too tall for that slot and needs to be moved up, but not yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC