Help me pick a seat for use in MIL's car...

djma

It needs to be easy for her to use. She's going to give me some money to go towards it...

It's going to be a FF seat that converts to a booster. DS2 is slowly gaining weight, so I'm okay with the 40 lb limit...and he's got a short torso.

I really like the Graco Cargo, but I'm not sure how much $$ she's going to give me.

Does anybody know how high the slots are on this seat? Or any pros/cons about it? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2901069

What about the Evenflo Chase? Evenflo Bolero/Generations?

TIA!!

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

I have a graco platinum cargo and it has a top harness height of 17". It makes a pretty good harnessed seat, but it turns into a pretty bad booster. When we tried it as a booster, it held the seatbelt too far from the child's body and I don't like the closed belt guide design on the seat.

The carseat measurements page shows the Evenflo Chase to have 16.8" for the top slot and the Evenflo Generations to have 16.5" for the top slot.

Have you looked into the Graco Nautilus? It has a top harness slot of 18.5" and turns into a good booster. For $150, it isn't that bad of a price for a good seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd head for the Generations over the Chase. The belt guides on the Generations are much more open than the Chase. It'll work better as a booster.

The Nautilus is another great choice. 19" top slots, 65 pound harness limit, 100 pounds as a booster, and it converts to both a high back and a low back booster. It's also easy to install and use.

At the top of the price range would be the Recaro Young Sport. It has 17" top slots and a 40 pound harness limit, but it makes a really great booster. It's $250, though.

Wendy

Kris0722

We have the Bolero (which is a bare bones generations- same nice tall top slots though!) as a back up seat and it is very nice. I don't know your budget - but Kmart carries it, and they frequently have 10% off all of their car seats. I think it goes for about 80 dollars.... (I think we got it for about 72 plus tax).

The nautilus seems awesome (and we will hopefully own one soon! ;)), but depending on how often the seat is used and budget, you can get the Bolero for almost half the price...

firemomof3

I would recommend the Nautilus hands down. Its so easy to install, has the 19" harness slots, 65lbs. weight harness and turns into a fantastic booster...you really can't get any better than that! :thumbsup:

djma

We breifly had a Nautilus and loved it! But he will not be in the seat very often and I know that it is out of budget. I'm thinking she will only contribute $30-40 and we're going to have to come up with the rest.

We may be taking a trip to Wally World and BRU to try him out in some of these.

mom2riley

DS has a Evenflo Bolero in Grandma's car and it is a great seat, nice tall top slots. It was originally his main seat. I personally :love: the adjuster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC