Child restraints in Volvo XC90 third row? was Re: Safety of Vehicles with 3rd Row Seats

Megieblue

I was under the impression that high back boosters and child restraint seats were not recommended by Volvo in the 3rd row of the XC90. Is this not true?

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
The issue required clarification from Volvo but it turns out that it's actually okay to use child safety seats in the 3rd row of the XC90. Just be aware that you will have to use the seatbelt(s) since there are no LATCH anchors (aka ISOFIX) in the 3rd row. I'm quoting a reply from Volvo below regarding LATCH/ISOFIX in the XC90:

"Initially, the text in the owners manual was a bit firm by implying that a child seat not be installed in a position that does not have ISOfix. As you know, the LATCH system reduces the chances of installing a child seat incorrectly. That has since been amended as seen from the 2007 XC90 Owners manual excerpt below.

As dictated by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, a child seat must be able to be installed in all designated seating positions except for the drivers seat. Since Volvo has not installed the ISOfix bracket (due to space limitations) in the rear center seating position, the seatbelt must be used to install the child seat. Volvo does not recommend that the inboard loops of the outer ISOfix brackets be used to install the child seat in the
center position.

Child seats can also be installed in the third row of the XC90 if so equipped. Again since the ISOfix brackets are not installed in the third row, the seats can be installed using the seatbelts."

HTH!

Kecia

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
As dictated by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, a child seat must be able to be installed in all designated seating positions except for the drivers seat.

Thanks Kecia, I didn't realize that existed in FMVSS.

That must also be why chevy backtracked on the trail blazer (I think that's the vehicle,) whose manual said a seat couldn't be installed in the center seating position, to say that if an acceptable install could be achieved it was ok to use?

aisraeltax

oh thats a relief! i was wondering why seats wouldnt be able to be installed in that car in teh 3d seat but were OK in other SUV's in teh 3d row..b/c thats what we are doing very soon.

that also explains why the passenger seat is "acceptable" for car seat install in an "emergency"...b/c of that reg. I wish that werent the case though, b/c i think it provides ppl with some sense that "well, i CANT install the infant seat anywhere else b/c i have too many passengers". maybe there is another scenarios that i am not thinking of but well...its the least safest seat in the car for a kid.

too bad Volvo didnt install latch in tehir 3d row. :( we almost looked at that car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC