Recommendations for rear facing seat?

jewlsvern

Hi, I just discovered this site and am looking for some advice on a next car seat. My daughter just turned a year old, weighs 17 lbs and is 28 inches tall. She is about to outgrow her SR due to the height of 29in. I want to keep her rear facing as long as possible. In CA they have to rear face until at least 20lbs. I have been looking for a convertible seat that will last until at least 65 lbs. I am interested in the Compass True fit. The Britax seats also sounds nice, but I don't think I can afford one. I will probably need two seats so we have one for DH's car. Anyone have advice on what seats you like or recommendations on a next step.
Thanks,
Julie

DD-Andraya-1 RF in Graco SR
17#, 29 in.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
What cars do you have? The Sunshine Kids Radian 65 in an option. Also, the Evenflo Truimph Advance rear faces to 35 lbs and forward faces to 50 lbs. and of course, the true fit.

jewlsvern

We have a Mazda 5 and a Mazda CX9 currently. My husband works for mazda so we get new cars every 6-12 months so I need a seat that is pretty versatile.

aisraeltax

if i were in your shoes, i think i woudl go for the Britax Marathon (cheaper than teh Blvd.) and switch them back and forth. With the LATCH (which you will have more than likely b/c you are getting new cars all the time), changing the car seat is really really fast. the newer ones will RF t 35 lbs. and FF to 65 lbs.

we were switching a MA. for over a year until we purchased a blvd. for my car.

MPQ8903

We just got the Evenflo Triumph Advance and I love it so far. It rear-faces up to 35lbs and forward faces up to 50lbs but the harness goes higher than the Britax. Since most kids outgrow seats in height before weight so it will last longer. I installed ours yesterday and it was quite easy but I'm having my work double checked on Tuesday by a CPST. It's a great seat, very comfy and of course I can't complain about the price.

natysr

How frequently will you need to switch the seat? If you will be doing it often (say, more than once a week) I would rather buy two evenflo triumph advance seats than one marathon.

The best seat is one that fits the car, fits the child, and is used correctly 100% of the time. If you are switching the seats often, there to too much room for error. Too many factors may put you in a hurry where you may not install it perfectly. (i.e. bad weather, fussy child, etc.)

TerisBoys

Also - her infant seat is outgrown when there's less than 1 inch of hard plastic shell above her head. If she's long legged, she may have more time to grow in it (which will give you more time to research as well).

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I have a Mazda 5. I have only had the Marathon, Radian, and Scenera in it for convertible carseats. The third row is tricky for installing seats, but the center row has been great. I've had no problems with the center row installs!

For versatility, I generally recommend the Marathon, but as you will always be using your carseat in newer vehicles, I think versatility is less of an issue for you. I doubt you would see much difference between the Marathon and any other convertible seat in newer vehicles; the versatility of the Marathon is usually more noticeable in older vehicles.

And I agree - if you're moving the carseat more than once a week or so, you'll be happier in the long run with two carseats. The Radian65 might be a good option for you for length-of-use - it has an 8-year expiration rather than the usual 6, and will last the longest RF and FF because of the 35lb RF limit and tall harness slots. The Radian will not install FF in the third row of the Mazda 5, but if you get new cars frequently, that may not ever be an issue for you.

Kris0722

My answer would also depend on how often your little one would be in both seats. If it is pretty equal and budget is an issue (isn't it always? :p), I would say go with 2 Triumph Advances.

If one car will be used much more than the other, maybe get a scenera or less expensive seat for the back up car and splurge more on the main car (True fit maybe?).

I will say that even though ds1 is usually in my car, the times when I have needed dh to get him, I think is worth having at least a seat in both cars. I wouldn't blow my whole budget on the one seat - b/c the time you "need" that backup seat is usually unexpected, not forseen and the last thing you want is to worry about switching seats! Just my :twocents:

Now that we have 2 boys, both boys will have back up seats in dh's car - just in case. Right now I am on maternity leave, but I do have a SR base installed in dh's car, just in case we have to take his car in a pinch.

jewlsvern

I have the baby with me the majority of the time as I am a stay at home mom. It would be rare for my husband to have her without me, but I do want to have a second seat so I don't have to switch them back and forth or to leave at grandmas or my sisters when we leave her for a few hours. I would like to have one nice seat that will be used the majoirty of the time and also get a cheaper back-up for the 2nd car. I only have the one baby, but occasionally I have my sisters kids ages 5 & 7 who are both in booster seats. With both cars having 3 rows space is not so much an issue but I do sometimes need them to all 3 fit in one row. I like the idea of the True Fit and the price is better than the Britax, but I was hoping there are others out there who have used both and can give there input before I invest in an expensive seat. I love her SR and I want to use it as long as possible, especially because it snaps into a stroller. I probably have 2+ months to use it, but I want to get the seat I want on a good deal and not have to buy it right away because she has outgrown her SR and pay full price. Car seats are now on sale at BRU.
Julie
DD-Andraya 1 RF in a SR
17# and 28 in

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC