Cracked Radian Foam

mom2riley

I sold my Radian and didn't pay much attention when I stripped it to wash the cover. Well it was finally dry this morning so I went to put it back on and noticed what I thought was a dent in the foam. Upon further inspection I noticed it was a rather large crack and now thinking back to stripping it I did think I saw a dent there. And now looking at it I must have really been concentrating on getting the cover off to miss it. Once stripped it went into my safe locked closet that no one (including myself) has been in since it was put there so I know it must have been there prior. I have already contacted the buyer and told her I will send a refund right away. But, what should I do about the crack? Anyone have experience?
P3140003.jpg

P3140002.jpg

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I would call SKJP and see what they say about it. I am sorry you had to cancel your sale. Maybe SKJP will have a solution.

mom2riley

I called and Russ is out of the office so I was asked to email pics to CS and they would forward them to Russ. I wonder if I should email Russ directly also..does anyone have his email addy. She said not to use it until I hear back from him, which I was not planning on doing anyway.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I called and Russ is out of the office so I was asked to email pics to CS and they would forward them to Russ. I wonder if I should email Russ directly also..does anyone have his email addy. She said not to use it until I hear back from him, which I was not planning on doing anyway.

I would email directly to Russ.

Last edited by a moderator:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just took out his emails so the masses don't bombard him :).

My hunch is he'll tell you it's ok to tape it if it needs tape to stay in place, and they'll send you a new piece. Maybe your original buyer would still like the seat and you could have the foam mailed directly to them?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

My hunch is he'll tell you it's ok to tape it if it needs tape to stay in place, and they'll send you a new piece. Maybe your original buyer would still like the seat and you could have the foam mailed directly to them?

NP :D.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I was told by SKJP CS that it was okay to tape it and it couldn't be replaced (like the straps, I guess.) I'll be interested to hear if you get a different answer (and it wouldn't surprise me if you did!)

mom2riley

Good idea, I will PM her and ask. Thank you :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I was told by SKJP CS that it was okay to tape it and it couldn't be replaced (like the straps, I guess.) I'll be interested to hear if you get a different answer (and it wouldn't surprise me if you did!)
Holy cow... THAT's uncool...not surprising, I guess...but ugh... (yeah, it wouldn't be surprsing if he offered to send her several extra sets and a new chestclip, would it? ROFL!)

mom2riley

ugh, I hope that I get a different answer, if not I guess I will be the proud lifelong owner of a RN. The rep was just said "hmm, I think that is OK" and I told her I wasn't comfortable with that. She said well you will have to take and send pics then, I told her not a problem what is the email. I wasn't going to take her not convincing it being OK, she is crazy.

mom2riley

Here is the reply from Russ::thumbsdown:

Thanks for your email and the photos. EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) - more commonly known as Styrofoam- is not terribly durable or strong stuff. But then again for an energy-absorbing application it doesn’t have to be. The purpose of the EPS foam lining the inside of a car seat or bicycle helmet is to absorb a compressive load. In other words, its job is to provide a barrier lining and dampen the force of a body or head hitting against it. Just like your Styrofoam beverage cooler, the EPS foam in all car seats is subject to a crack or break if the edge of it is pulled or bent back too hard. If this happens, do not worry. You can take a piece of duct tape to cover the crack or use hot glue or any similar craft glue (not ‘Superglue’ type adhesives) to adhere the piece back in place. Remember, the EPS foam simply must be in place to perform its intended function of energy absorption.

Even Graco replaced my Crappy Sport EPS foam for free. :thumbsdown:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Here is the reply from Russ::thumbsdown:

Thanks for your email and the photos. EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) - more commonly known as Styrofoam- is not terribly durable or strong stuff. But then again for an energy-absorbing application it doesn’t have to be. The purpose of the EPS foam lining the inside of a car seat or bicycle helmet is to absorb a compressive load. In other words, its job is to provide a barrier lining and dampen the force of a body or head hitting against it. Just like your Styrofoam beverage cooler, the EPS foam in all car seats is subject to a crack or break if the edge of it is pulled or bent back too hard. If this happens, do not worry. You can take a piece of duct tape to cover the crack or use hot glue or any similar craft glue (not ‘Superglue’ type adhesives) to adhere the piece back in place. Remember, the EPS foam simply must be in place to perform its intended function of energy absorption.

Even Graco replaced my Crappy Sport EPS foam for free. :thumbsdown:

Sorry it is not he reply you wnated. I don't know that you can pull it off to replace it. i have never tried.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC