Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Cracked Radian Foam

I sold my Radian and didn't pay much attention when I stripped it to wash the cover. Well it was finally dry this morning so I went to put it back on and noticed what I thought was a dent in the foam. Upon further inspection I noticed it was a rather large crack and now thinking back to stripping it I did think I saw a dent there. And now looking at it I must have really been concentrating on getting the cover off to miss it. Once stripped it went into my safe locked closet that no one (including myself) has been in since it was put there so I know it must have been there prior. I have already contacted the buyer and told her I will send a refund right away. But, what should I do about the crack? Anyone have experience?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Cracked Radian Foam

I would call SKJP and see what they say about it. I am sorry you had to cancel your sale. Maybe SKJP will have a solution.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

Senior Community Member

I called and Russ is out of the office so I was asked to email pics to CS and they would forward them to Russ. I wonder if I should email Russ directly also..does anyone have his email addy. She said not to use it until I hear back from him, which I was not planning on doing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
    I called and Russ is out of the office so I was asked to email pics to CS and they would forward them to Russ. I wonder if I should email Russ directly also..does anyone have his email addy. She said not to use it until I hear back from him, which I was not planning on doing anyway.
    I would email directly to Russ.
    Last edited by joolsplus3; 03-14-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.

Senior Community Member

[QUOTE=azgirl71;377649]I would email directly to Russ.

Thank you, I just sent Russ an email also.
    Last edited by joolsplus3; 03-14-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I just took out his emails so the masses don't bombard him .

My hunch is he'll tell you it's ok to tape it if it needs tape to stay in place, and they'll send you a new piece. Maybe your original buyer would still like the seat and you could have the foam mailed directly to them?
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post

My hunch is he'll tell you it's ok to tape it if it needs tape to stay in place, and they'll send you a new piece. Maybe your original buyer would still like the seat and you could have the foam mailed directly to them?
    NP .
    Lisa - CPSTI

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

I was told by SKJP CS that it was okay to tape it and it couldn't be replaced (like the straps, I guess.) I'll be interested to hear if you get a different answer (and it wouldn't surprise me if you did!)

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post

Good idea, I will PM her and ask. Thank you

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unityco View Post
    I was told by SKJP CS that it was okay to tape it and it couldn't be replaced (like the straps, I guess.) I'll be interested to hear if you get a different answer (and it wouldn't surprise me if you did!)
    Holy cow... THAT's uncool...not surprising, I guess...but ugh... (yeah, it wouldn't be surprsing if he offered to send her several extra sets and a new chestclip, would it? ROFL!)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unityco View Post
    ugh, I hope that I get a different answer, if not I guess I will be the proud lifelong owner of a RN. The rep was just said "hmm, I think that is OK" and I told her I wasn't comfortable with that. She said well you will have to take and send pics then, I told her not a problem what is the email. I wasn't going to take her not convincing it being OK, she is crazy.

Senior Community Member

Here is the reply from Russ:

Thanks for your email and the photos. EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) - more commonly known as Styrofoam- is not terribly durable or strong stuff. But then again for an energy-absorbing application it doesn’t have to be. The purpose of the EPS foam lining the inside of a car seat or bicycle helmet is to absorb a compressive load. In other words, its job is to provide a barrier lining and dampen the force of a body or head hitting against it. Just like your Styrofoam beverage cooler, the EPS foam in all car seats is subject to a crack or break if the edge of it is pulled or bent back too hard. If this happens, do not worry. You can take a piece of duct tape to cover the crack or use hot glue or any similar craft glue (not ‘Superglue’ type adhesives) to adhere the piece back in place. Remember, the EPS foam simply must be in place to perform its intended function of energy absorption.

Even Graco replaced my Crappy Sport EPS foam for free.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
    Here is the reply from Russ:

Thanks for your email and the photos. EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) - more commonly known as Styrofoam- is not terribly durable or strong stuff. But then again for an energy-absorbing application it doesn’t have to be. The purpose of the EPS foam lining the inside of a car seat or bicycle helmet is to absorb a compressive load. In other words, its job is to provide a barrier lining and dampen the force of a body or head hitting against it. Just like your Styrofoam beverage cooler, the EPS foam in all car seats is subject to a crack or break if the edge of it is pulled or bent back too hard. If this happens, do not worry. You can take a piece of duct tape to cover the crack or use hot glue or any similar craft glue (not ‘Superglue’ type adhesives) to adhere the piece back in place. Remember, the EPS foam simply must be in place to perform its intended function of energy absorption.

Even Graco replaced my Crappy Sport EPS foam for free.
    Sorry it is not he reply you wnated. I don't know that you can pull it off to replace it. i have never tried.
    Lisa - CPSTI