Older 8 seater mini-van?

Tara

Not that this is happening anytime soon, it was just an idea that cropped up here recently. Possible second vehicle for us.

I was wondering what the oldest 8 seater mini van would be? What are my options there?

I just keep thinking it would have to be an older Sienna or Odyssey...is there anything else? And how 'old' could you go?

Just trying to think budget-wise, I know when/if ever this happens we won't have a large budget. Older = cheaper

So, earliest models 8 seater mini vans ??

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
'04 and newer Siennas, and '05 and newer Odys have 8-passenger versions. The second row center seat in the Sienna is more carseat friendly (wider and full LATCH-equipped) than than the Ody's second row center "PlusOne" seat (narrower, no LATCH or tether anchor). Chevy Ventures and their corporate siblings, the Pontiac Montana and Olds Silhouette, had 8-passenger versions, although I'm not sure of the exact model years. These GM minivans unfortunately also have just so-so crash test scores. Edited to add: I think the GM minivans were available as 8-passenger models from roughly the '01 through '05 model years.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Chevy Astros also had an 8-seater option (I still own one), but they had horrible safety ratings.

That said, I never really had problems with carseats in it, and the dang thing still starts right up every time we use it, even if it's been sitting in the snow for two months. Plus it survived a 35+mph side-impact crash with a Volvo and only minor injuries to all 7 occupants. I'm glad we've replaced it, but I really can't complain.

TerisBoys

Pontiac Transport/Montana, Chevy Lumina/Venture, and Olds Silhouette had 8 passenger options starting in the 90's. 4 shoulder belts, 2 lap belts, and I question the width of the middle spot in the third row. Second row is fine - it's 3 modular, full sized seats. No headrests in the back prior to 1997. Dual sliders became an option in 1997 as well (that's the year they switched from 'dustbuster' style to normal minivan appearance)

nisi

Senior Community Member
You can turn a Windstar into an 8 seater......

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/cpsnisi/Misc CPS/?action=view&current=19e81a55.jpg

This is my Windstar with the 2nd row captains chairs pulled out and the 3rd row bench from another Windstar put in their place (note the mismatched upholstery :p). Per the manual, Ford OKs moving the 3rd row bench up to the second row. I just took it a step further. I know this works with the 99-03s. I'm not sure about 95-98s - you'd have to check the manual. It is a little hard to access the 3rd row, but for a once in a while thing it isn't bad. If you could get a bench from a junked Windstar (just make sure it wasn't crashed) this could be an economical option. And if it's a 99 or later, you'll have 60lb rated TAs in all rear seating positions, which makes the lap belt positions easier to deal with :)

ETA: omg, that picture is huge. I replaced it with a link

oldeschool

Thank you so much for the picture, this is what we hope to be able to do soon to save gas!!!
Does anyone know if any of the foreign vans that are older... say the late 90's have the option of moving a third row seat to the front?? My dh would love to get an import because of his previous problems with domestic vans in the past.
Thanks
Laura

TerisBoys

The Transport/Venture 8 passenger are harder to find, but ARE findable. And relatively reasonable pricewise. A friend has been looking for one, and found several 97 and newer for under $5000.

sarsah

The '8th seat' in the Odyssey is very, very narrow. I'm not sure an adult could sit comfortably in it and it's too narrow for most, if not all booster seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC