Good narrow booster for 6 y/o?

AutumnMama

We have 3 across in a '01 Ford Focus ZTS and DS1 is almost out of his Intera.
It will go to DS2 once he's outgrown the SafeSeat, and DS1 will then use DD's Radian (confused yet? :cool:).

So, since a Regent will definitely not be fitting in our little car, what would be a good option for a booster for DD?
She is 6 (b-day in Jan), and 49-50 lbs. She is 47" tall with a 16.5" torso measurement (not sure that matters with a booster though..).

DS2 is being cranky, so I'm gonna post this now. I'd really appreciate any input you gals could give me!

ADS

AutumnMama

Me again... I was doing a little poking around and realized that DS1 may actually be over the weight limit on his Intera.

What if I got the Radian 80 for DD and passed her Radian65 to DS1?
Ugh, that one's really expensive though.

We can do it if/when we get those "economic stimulus" checks, but that won't be for several months yet I think (summer, right?).

So, I guess the question is: What should I be doing right now?

I do have a cheapo high-backed booster that I could use for DD, and give her Radian to DS right now.

Sorry, I feel like my posts are all over the place :eek:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Britax Parkway is a great narrow booster, I'd look at that. And for right NOW? Maybe the Intera will work as a booster and put middle kiddo in the Radian. I would NOT use the harness on the intera for even one more drive anywhere at 43 pounds. Radian 65 and 80 are the *same* seat, so no point buying the 80... www.dmartstores.com has 65's for $159 :)

melniemi

How much room does your dd have before her shoulders reach the top strap in the radian? The radian 80 has the same top strap height as the 65 - so you only gain weight advantage there. You could get another radian if you feel your dd won't sit right in a booster, or if she has a bit of growing room left. Then you could pass her radian down to baby when she outgrows it and get her a booster.

If you do want to get her a booster, I would consider the parkway. It is narrow, has good sip, and doesn't have armrests so it is easier to buckle next to a harnessed seat.

If you have enough room in your vehicle, you could also consider the Graco Nautilus. It has higher top slots than the radian and converts to a booster when necessary. It is wider though, so I don't know if it will fit. It is available at WalMart so you can easily return it if it doesn't work.

AutumnMama

Yeah, we are totally maxed out on room, nothing wider than a Radian will fit at the moment.
Though if the Intera is out of there I think I might get a few inches (I have it in without the base).

It looks like she has probably about an inch and a half or so till she reaches the top strap slots. I'm not sure how long that will take for her torso to grow that much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC